Dont think I'll have the C5 est hdi for long

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stu9

Dont think I'll have the C5 est hdi for long

Post by stu9 »

Nice car but to boat like driving it, to bouncy/squidgy, bloody comfy though....anyone else got one that felt like that
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Dont think I'll have the C5 est hdi for long

Post by Citroenmad »

What year is your C5?

I felt like this with my first C5 (a 2002 2.0HDi SX) and didn't have it as my own car for as long as intended due to that. However I replaced that with a 2004 (still original shape C5) VTR spec which did drive much better - it had larger alloy wheels and I'm sure there is a difference in the steering rack, certianly has a bigger turning circle to the earlier cars. That VTR was much better to drive, not as squidgy, more direct and very decent. Bought that one with 60K and sold a year later with 81k.

My current C5 is the best yet, its a facelifted 56 plate VTR. So has the bigger wheels etc. However its steering is agin more direct than my last S1 VTR, its perhaps more direct than a Xantia. Its suspension is firmer but still rides well just with less roll and better ride damping. I do like driving it and quite regularily throw it around country lanes. They have much more grip, wet especially, than a Xantia.

So it depends on the year of C5 as changes and imrpovements seemed to have been carried out throughout its life.

My first C5 is still in my family and I do still drive it regularily, however it is not a car I enjoy driving. The steering is so vague, the suspension has less damping and its pretty dull. That said, it does ride the best over two wheel bumps and does float along motorways very nicely. The turning circle is very tight, much better than a Xantias, but as said, later C5s have a bigger turning circle.

Also depending on year and mileage, the spheres might need replacing too. Having the tracking spot on makes a huge difference to how direct a C5s steering is.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
stu9

Post by stu9 »

An 03 Chris, 135000..

The steering feels fine, that's not to say it's not though, but feels fine to me, the tracking's also ok, s/wheel's in the middle ect

What noticed yesterday though when putting tools in the boot, a boxed cordless drill, socket set, footpump....as I put them, I leaned on the bumper and the back was very soft/squidgy....I thought, hey that not right....or is it. The hydraulics ect all work fine, but that's not to say something's not still buggered.

Like I say, it's a very smooth drive, comfiest I've drove, but scary on corners because of this.....the lwb Pajero I had a few years ago was taughter/firmer.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I lost my back end last week on a wet curve..

scared me lots.. :O

never happened before or since.. but...

the S1 is a soft car.. nice enough on motorways and towns, but not really a drivers car in my opinion..
stu9

Post by stu9 »

It's NOT a drivers car, never mind the word "really"
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Don't think it was built as a "drivers car". Of course all cars are drivers cars, but some are not built to throw into corners and thrash on the windy roads. Horses for courses, and a bit of research is always recommended before shelling out the hard earned. My 2001 Mk 1 C5 SX was lovely on the motorway and dual carriageways but not suitable for rallying.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have two, a 2.0 and 2.2 Hdi, having driven hydropnumatic Citroens for 25 years I like the soft ride that's why I bought them. The 2.2 although soft I believe has a stiffer anti roll bar that the 2.0, in fact my 2.0 has a very uncomfortable ride at the moment due to the spheres having come to the end of their life which at 188k I suppose is not bad.

A drivers car they are not but I like driving them because I like the comfortable ride, on the other hand I have a 406 Hdi which drives much more crisply but the ride is to hard for me - so you pays your money and takes your choice.

Peter
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

My new shape C5 is supremely comfortable but there is a lot of roll on corners. When the sport suspension is selected, it becomes a totally different car. Although not in the BMW M3 class, you can give it a fair bit of wellie on the corners and it sits nicely and sticks like the brown stuff to a flannel blanket.
Rick.

Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

You don't buy a big Citroen (unless its a Xantia Activa of course!) to have the last word in chuckability, lack of roll and firm suspension. Be it ab Xm, Xantia, C6 or the latest C5. They are all geared for comfort as that is what a big Citroen is about. Yes, to press on your C5 should feel soft. However they are far from scary on corners!

How do you mean scary? A lack of grip? Little in the way of suspension damping?

I have to say I've never found a C5 scary to drive! Sometimes it might be nice if they were :lol:
Last edited by Citroenmad on 23 Nov 2012, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Estate versions of any car are generally worse than the hatch counterparts anyway.on the bends. That is a big car man.

You just need another weekend car for tossing about :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I've never driven a C5 so I can't comment there, but I can't agree about the Xantia, I would say that a Hydractive 2 Xantia with good tyres and suspension in good working order is eminently "chuckable" around corners, especially in sport mode. I'm still not sure about the on limit balance of the V6 (which is quite front heavy compared to other Xantias) but my previous 2 litre Hydractive 2 Xantia had an excellent handling balance, never once did I have the rear slide out or get twitchy or scary on me, and I used to give that thing stick around the corners all the time.

Sure, even the hard mode on Hydractive 2 rolls more than many sporty cars, but its so heavily damped in that mode that it doesn't really matter, the soft springing very heavy damping combination works well to give excellent grip and sure footededness despite a bit more body roll...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
kentc5
My Cars:

Post by kentc5 »

I do find the C5 floaty on the straight ... and nice and firm on the corners... being the Hydractive 3+
sitting quite high up does not help the feeing... but it does drive good.

I know mind needs to have some droplinks and some bushes checked on the front ... I am sure after these are changed the steering will be better.

I cannot compare it to my Lexus IS300 SportCross when it comes to driving feel ... as they cannot be compared. lol. Lexus drives like point and shoot, goes where ever you like with no problem.
And the C5 ... weellll it is a lazy feeling, what you would expect from a big comfortable diesel lol.
Current Cars:
Citroen Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive ('98)
Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS ('03)
Audi A6 C6 2.4 V6 SE ('05)
BMW 735i Individual M-Pack ('00)
Lexus GS300SE Navigator ('98)
Toyota Prius T-Spirit ('04)
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

i throw my Estate around, maybe a little too much sometimes, but never felt it was scary. i feel the tyres are the limiting factor as much as the suspension.
In cross winds it wanders about a bit, more the soft suspension than steering vagueness and has done this from the day i bought it & now with 240k on it feels no different than 8 years ago.
OH has a mk2 Leon FR, completely the other end of spectrum, stiff suspension, hard seats with high bolsters, steering with zero feel due to electric PS, 45 profile rubber bands.
handles a dream when pressing on but i know which car i prefer to travel 500miles to 'le chateau' and still be able to get out as though i'd travelled 50
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Again there are differences in C5s with most being only H3 and not H3+ which do have better body control.

I was driving our 2002 C5 SX yesterday in strong wind, it does wonder around. My later C5 is far better, much less corrections are needed and its much more confident inspiring.

Yes the Xantia hydractive in sports mode is a chuckable car, it does lift off oversteer nicely, is predictable and fairly direct. However they could do with more grip in my opinion, the front end washes wide much sooner than the C5 and I only ever fit premium brand tyres on my cars. I do tend to throw every car around! My tyres never last long! I'm not going to say how many tyres I've got through with my Activa in the 7K miles i've had it :lol:

I like driving both C5 and Xantia. Though only later C5s and only hydractive Xantias. Early C5s and non-hydractives don't appeal as I know they dont have to be so vague.

Obviously a big car developed to be comfortable is not going to give a thrilling drive, but then I hate cars with rock hard suspension and would not choose that just for slightly better driver feel. A lot of my driving is on motorways and I don't want an uncomfortable car for that, I did have and it drove me mad. So for me, the C5 and Xantias handle well enough and prvoide very good comfort and road holding - something Citroen usually always manages with its cars. Even going back years, the 2cv and Traction, they roll and are not that driect but they don't half cling on! :roll:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Given the choice (which I was) between my Saab 9-3 150 TiD and the big C5 III, I opted for the citroen and haven't regretted it for a single minute.
The Saab was so much quicker off the mark, very solid on all types of raod, but very unforgiving on the old bones. I could throw it around like a loony and it would just get on with it, but you know something? I don't feel the need to chuck the C5 around. I just sit back in serene comfort and waft along like a king!
Rick.