Vacuum pump and/or camshaft breakage DW8

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

heraldcoupe
My Cars:

Vacuum pump and/or camshaft breakage DW8

Post by heraldcoupe »

I recently suffered a failed vacuum ejector pump on my 2002 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D. When removed, I found that the part which engages with the camshaft was physically broken.
I sourced a secondhand pump and fitted it and all seemed to be OK.

Yesterday when driving in the rain, I noted oil on the water outside, which I tracked back to the new pump. I reckon the van has covered about 150 miles since the pump swap.

On removing the pump I found that one of the engagement lugs was again broken, and the inside of the housing was gouged with a hole punched through in one place, hence the oil leak.
This time I noted that the end of the camshaft is damaged where it engages, being splayed outwards. I didn't believe there was any damage present to the camshaft when the replacement pump was fitted.

Is there a known problem in this area? The van was bought as a non-runner with a failed starter motor, and the condition of the oil suggests it has a pretty poor maintenance history. I've done all the oil & filters etc, but I'm beginning to think I should just find a better replacement engine, or chop in the whole van. I've done no more than 500 miles since getting it on the road.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
Bill.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Vacuum pump and/or camshaft breakage DW8

Post by spider »

I'm not aware of a known issue with that area.

I assume the replacement pump you fitted, its drive gear / dog was OK ?

I don't think you can really fit them wrong either as it will either engage or not when you push it into place before bolting it up.

I can't see how it is breaking it though, unless there's something actually wrong with the drive on the end of the cam itself, or the fault must of already been present with the end of the cam hence the broken pump initially. I started to wonder if the van had been through a couple of pumps already for some reason.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
heraldcoupe
My Cars:

Post by heraldcoupe »

The replacement pump was fine when fitted. The end of the camshaft is certainly damaged now, but it seemed to be OK when the pumps were swapped. With hindsight perhaps I should have inspected it more thoroughly, but the end felt clean and the pump engaged easily.

Since getting the van on the road I've had an intermittent engine warning light and power has been lower than expected. I was gearing up to getting a Lexia but events overtook me on that score.....
Whether the low power is somehow related to this failure I don't know,

Cheers,
Bill.
spider

Post by spider »

The warning light and low power is probably related yes, at 2002 its got the electronic advance pump. A lexia will identify the fault though.

Does the tachometer (should have one at that age, I think its about 50/50) work ? , other causes are the needle lift sensor fitted to one of the injectors or possibly the tdc sensor although if that was awol the tacho would not work.

I did wonder if there was a difference in the pumps between say XUD and DW8 although I've not looked into that yet, a minor difference would not surprise me but I'd not expect breakage.
Andy.

heraldcoupe
My Cars:

Post by heraldcoupe »

There's no tacho on this one.

From looking at what's been offered on ebay, the XUD and DW8 pumps look broadly the same. What I got was supposedly DW8 and had no noticeable differences to what I removed, other than it had no broken bits at the time......

Cheers,
Bill.
spider

Post by spider »

Had a look (at a Partner van but the same thing) they are slightly different between the earlier XUD and the later DW8 although I cannot see what is different.

XUD is 456542 then changes at build 7538 to 456553

DW8 is all 456553

Same number for the later ones, I'd have to guess that change is around 97 given it went to DW8 at 98, so unless the pump came off a really early XUD unit it is the right one, if that makes sense.
Andy.