Aftermarket Air-Intake for C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

begins
My Cars:

Aftermarket Air-Intake for C5

Post by begins »

Hi all,

I bought a used year 2007 C5 and it came with an aftermarket air-intake system. Please refer to the attachment.

I'm wondering whether I should try to find the original airbox to replace it?
Is there a downside of keeping it and I have this feeling that this air-intake system is contributing to the noise.

Since I don’t have the chance to try out another C5 so I’m not sure whether the noise level is acceptable. I always thought Citroen is a very quiet car but I’m disappointed somehow.

Kindly advise me and Thank you very much.

Regards,
Attachments
Photo0643a.jpg
Air Intake 02.jpg
Photo0642.jpg
begins
My Cars:

Re: Aftermarket Air-Intake for C5

Post by begins »

This is the front view of the engine bay.

Regards,
Attachments
Air intake 01A.jpg
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Yes that thing is designed to make noise, the cold air feed has been pulled off too so your probably loosing a bit of power and making huge noise, see if you can pick up another original filter box for it and normal service should be resumed.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

That sort of thing is often fitted under the perception that it'll make the car go faster "innit". Although all they really do is make the intake a bit noiser and thus add an offset to the trouser dynamometer.
Bin it, fit a stock air intake, replace the paper filter regularly and you'll probably get half a horsepower back. Those performance filters aren't usually much more than an air sieve anyway, so they strain out some of the bigger bees but leave most of the fine grit to make it into the engine.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

That setup would appear to be much better than the original one for negotiating flooded roads. From news reports there seems to be plenty of those in the UK now. Remember one sip of water can be fatal to an engine especially a diesel.
Just noticed that you're in Malaysia. Ah well UK or Malaysia I have to cross a lot of water to get to either.
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

BX wrote:That setup would appear to be much better than the original one for negotiating flooded roads. From news reports there seems to be plenty of those in the UK now. Remember one sip of water can be fatal to an engine especially a diesel.
Just noticed that you're in Malaysia. Ah well UK or Malaysia I have to cross a lot of water to get to either.
Have not seen the original setup. Do you have the photos of the original setup so that I can have some ideas how it looks like?

You mean the original air-intake funnel is located way below my aftermaket one?

Thank you.

Regards,
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Original setup draws in air below the left hand headlamp. Its quite low down. I'll get you a pic if I can
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

BX wrote:Original setup draws in air below the left hand headlamp. Its quite low down. I'll get you a pic if I can
Thank you very much for helping out :-D .

Regards,