HELP!!! 98 Xantia S2 gremlins

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

conordev

HELP!!! 98 Xantia S2 gremlins

Post by conordev »

Hi,
I have a 98 citroen xantia turbo diesel series 2.. it was going grand the last few mnths but now the citroen gremlins have taken over! first of all the door open light comes on all the time even if all d doors ar closed properly bu goes of after about 10 mins. The light on the inside of the wingmirror used to flash but now that is also on all the time. To top things of yesterday the car overheated noting major the temperature was at around 95 bu this is a lot higher than it always waw, when driving now the stop light will come on with the light at the top of the temperature gauge.

Any help is greatly appreciated as i know noting about these cars only bought it because i needed a diesel!!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: HELP!!! 98 Xantia S2 gremlins

Post by Xaccers »

Have you checked the coolant level?
It should be at the bottom of the two cut outs you can see when you look in the tank.
If the level drops the stop light and amber temperature light can also come on.
If the level is fine it could just be the bitron unit playing up, which is under the passenger headlight. Cassy has this issue, she'll often be at 80C but the stop and overheat lights flicker on and off.
One day I will get the time to remove the headlamp and clean up the contacts on the bitron.
I've cleaned the temperature sensor contacts which are the blue and brown plugs just in front of the fuel filter housing.
TD's should run about 85-90C unless pushed. With the bitron playing up it is running Cassy's fans a lot of the time so her temperature is often below 80C with normal driving which isn't right.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Thermostat failing, so it doesn't open more than a crack - been there.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
conordev

Post by conordev »

thanks for the replys..thermostat what are they like to change? i know most other things are a nightmare to change so this is probably no different..could it also be that the fan isnt cutting in due to a blown fuse or relay?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Thermostat is easy, drain the coolant (there's a tap at the bottom of the rad on the driver's side).
Then see where the large hose connects under the fuel filter housing? The stat is in there.
When you fill it back up with coolant, there's a bleed screw (looks like a tyre valve) by the fuel pump where the 3 coolant pipes meet.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool