How To Fix for the tailgate open message on C5 estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

horsedentist

How To Fix for the tailgate open message on C5 estate

Post by horsedentist »

I recently purchased a C5 2.2 estate really cheap from a BMW dealer (part Ex disposal) it had numerous faults but it was a one lady owner 72,000 miles 01. One of the faults was the computer was showing the rear tailgate as being open when it clearly wasn't obviously some one else had attempted to fix it as numerous plastic pins were missing from the door card. Apart from an annoying beep every ten minutes as the car tried to lock the tailgate when moving and failed because the computer was lying about it being open, I could not lock the car when parking it.

I checked everything but could not find a malfunction anywhere apart from the top tailgate window would not open. I removed the door card and opened the window manually and checked the micro switch that is depressed when the window is shut and it tested working fine. Checked for broken wires in the flexible loom at the top of door no obvious damage.
So I decided that while I had it apart and was in the fixing mood I would run a new supply to the window switch to get that working. This involves splicing into the yellow wire under the high level brake light and running the wire round the inside of the glass and attaching it to top pole of the micro switch. As soon as I had done this and got the window solenoid working the warning light went out! so the earth on the window opening circuit must be an intragal part of the circuit which tells the computer that the tailgate is shut! Although why the solenoid switch should be part of the window closed circuit I don't know. But then it is French lol.
Robert12

Re: How To Fix for the tailgate open message on C5 estate

Post by Robert12 »

Hi when mine was doing this it was the boot lock there's a micro switch in it
horsedentist

Re: How To Fix for the tailgate open message on C5 estate

Post by horsedentist »

Robert12 wrote:Hi when mine was doing this it was the boot lock there's a micro switch in it
Yep I found that one, that was where I started my investigations, there is also one under the window which is the old fashioned type that used to be fitted to the doors to operate the interior lights.