Suspension question? C5 and Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kentc5
My Cars:

Suspension question? C5 and Xantia

Post by kentc5 »

Just wondered

When the car is parked for hours... ie over night.
Is it best to lower the suspension to the lowest setting? Or just leave it to the normal driving position?

Cheers in advance guys.
Current Cars:
Citroen Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive ('98)
Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS ('03)
Audi A6 C6 2.4 V6 SE ('05)
BMW 735i Individual M-Pack ('00)
Lexus GS300SE Navigator ('98)
Toyota Prius T-Spirit ('04)
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Suspension question? C5 and Xantia

Post by citronut »

they are meant to be left in the normal ride position,

fully up and down are workshop levels really
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If you drop an anti-sink Xantia to low you'll find it'll take a long time (relatively) to come back up to normal ride height. This is because the part of the hydraulic pump that pressurises the suspension and brakes only has two pistons. The other six are used independently for the power steering only.

A proper 'sinker' such as the earliest Xantias, the BX, the S1 XMs and so on use all six pump pistons for the suspension brakes and power steering with priority given to the brakes and suspension. As a result they do rise a lot faster from their belly.

There is a train of thought that suggests that if an anti-sink is left parked up for a while it's a good idea to drop it on its belly as this might improve sphere life by reducing the load on their diaphragms. This is based on a general observation that spheres in sinkers seem to last a bit longer.

Another advantage of a sinker is the height correctors get plenty of exercise whereas on an anti-sink they get less so it's always a good idea on an anti-sink to carry out regular 'Citarobics' - raising and lowering the suspension to full high and to full low and back again several times in quickish succession. This also helps dissipate entrained air in the LHM as well as exercising the height correctors.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

CitroJim wrote:
A proper 'sinker' such as the earliest Xantias, the BX, the S1 XMs and so on use all six pump pistons for the suspension brakes and power steering with priority given to the brakes and suspension. As a result they do rise a lot faster from their belly.
ALSO Early Mark 2 XMs.. Anti sink was not fitted to Mk.2 XM's untill around late 1996 (N reg). Early Mk.2, M and N's are sinkers. (At least with the 2.1 TD Engine anyway)
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto