AX GT oil leak!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

broona
My Cars:

AX GT oil leak!

Post by broona »

I've got a 1990 AX GT which developed a small oil leak on the drivers side, dripping onto the fan belt, and spraying all over the inside of the bonnet, etc. Was told it was the crankshaft oil seal, got it replaced, and it stopped for a week. Now it's leaking again, but much worse than it was! Any ideas please?
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

If it was repaired by a garage I would be taking it back and insisting they repair it correctly this time, at no cost. I hate being charged for substandard work!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If a garage was supposed to change the seal, take it back. But what I would be concerned about is oil contamination on the cambelt. If it's got coated with oil it's not going to last long.
broona
My Cars:

Post by broona »

Thanks for the replies, is there anything else it could be leaking in that area? Cheers.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

On the tu 1.4 engine you tend to get an oil leak from the corner of the headgasket cambelt side of the engine below the exhaust manifold (have a look in this area and get back to me). My zx 1.4 has this bloody oil leak as well and when I drive along the oil that has leaked get splashed around a bit. The cambelt was very recently changed and I kept an eye on the old belt for any signs of oil contamination and i am doing the same with the new one.
I have also noticed that in the summer when the weather is warmer the oil leaks goes, but as soon the weather goes colder the leak starts.
broona
My Cars:

Post by broona »

Cheers, will have a good look tomorrow. Seems to be further round than that, but it's worth a try! :)