Amsoil/Redline ATF for my AL4 gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

begins
My Cars:

Re: Amsoil/Redline ATF for my AL4 gearbox

Post by begins »

Hi all,

Just a quick update. The AL4 gearbox still up and kicking with DIII.

Recently done a road trip of about 750KM, top speed about 180Km/h on the highway.

Wanted to check with the experts here who have installed an aftermarket ATF cooler. Which is the size and spec did you install and what else to watchout for before/after installation.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Hey hey...........I like a man who takes a chance :lol:

Honda said to only use Dexron as an emergency and put Honda fluid in immediately after flushing the dexron :shock: .........yeah right. 150k on the Prelude transmission now and still pulling like a train on dexron. Not the same scenario as DEX v LT but you get the point.

My fluid for Aisin box is type 33O9. One very knowledgeable guy says that Fuchs do an oil that has same spec, and he is using it in same box as mine on a Vauxhall. I will see what the deals are. I can buy 3309 here in Toyota ,Renault, Vauxhall, Saab or Mobil bottles
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

lexi wrote:Hey hey...........I like a man who takes a chance :lol:

Honda said to only use Dexron as an emergency and put Honda fluid in immediately after flushing the dexron :shock: .........yeah right. 150k on the Prelude transmission now and still pulling like a train on dexron. Not the same scenario as DEX v LT but you get the point.

My fluid for Aisin box is type 33O9. One very knowledgeable guy says that Fuchs do an oil that has same spec, and he is using it in same box as mine on a Vauxhall. I will see what the deals are. I can buy 3309 here in Toyota ,Renault, Vauxhall, Saab or Mobil bottles
I owned several Honda before. Over here the distributor allows you to bring whatever compatible aftermarket ATF for servicing during warranty period. So I didn’t use Honda ATF Z1 at all. Of course, the service advisor would always encourage you to use the original ATF to be on the safe side.

I’m still monitoring the AL4 gearbox condition, so far so good. Anyway, I’m not here to persuade others to change to DIII but just wanted to convince myself that compatible ATF are just equally good.

Regards,
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

Hi all,

Just a quick update. The AL4 is still functioning well with DIII. I’ve also resigned from my present job that requires long distance traveling. Now the office distance is less than 10Km to and fro versus the previous 120Km. Not sure whether this will add more stress to the box since I have to go through many traffic lights to reach the office.

I recently bought a gadget that can trace the gear shifting in the car. At auto mode, the C5 shift slowly especially at low gear and when you want to pick up fast. It is just not as agile when compared with my previous rides. Perhaps, I should learn to respect the AL4 way of doing things.

Regards,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

begins wrote:Now the office distance is less than 10Km to and fro versus the previous 120Km. Not sure whether this will add more stress to the box since I have to go through many traffic lights to reach the office.
There are suggestions that an autobox that spends it's days cruising the motorway, and therefore not changing gear often, is going to last longer than one in an urban setting that's changing gear all the time...

I don't think it really makes a lot of odds and besides, what you save in fuel can be used to overhaul your box if it breaks early :wink: :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Cruising at constant speed on the motorway is probably easier on the box, at least if you go by oil temperature. I've monitored mine and 20 miles on the motorway won't even get the oil above 80 degrees, however 20 miles of constant stop start urban traffic up to 30mph will easily get it over 105. I assume the reason is the torque converter is mostly locked up during fast cruising producing far less heat, and you don't have the slip that occurs in the middle of a gear change which also contributes to heat build up.

Every time you accelerate from a standstill from first through to 3rd most of that time the torque converter is in full slip generating a lot of heat, plus you have the slip and clutch engagement overlap during each gear shift.

So for equal mileage motorway running should be far easier on the box... However if you're also doing a lot less mileage due to the short trips it probably evens out...at least in terms of how many years the box will last.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

CitroJim wrote:
begins wrote:Now the office distance is less than 10Km to and fro versus the previous 120Km. Not sure whether this will add more stress to the box since I have to go through many traffic lights to reach the office.
There are suggestions that an autobox that spends it's days cruising the motorway, and therefore not changing gear often, is going to last longer than one in an urban setting that's changing gear all the time...

I don't think it really makes a lot of odds and besides, what you save in fuel can be used to overhaul your box if it breaks early :wink: :)
Hahaha....overhaul will mean higher opportunity cost since I may not have access to an alternate vehicle readily. Taking public transportation will also be painful here.

Oh dear, talking about fuel consumption. I used get around 10km/l minimally in the past now I barely get 7km/l for city driving :? . In the previous job, company pay for the petrol and for the new place, its personal expenses :cry: . The plus point about the new job is, I have more quality/quantity time with the kids since I travel much less.

Regards,
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

Mandrake wrote:Cruising at constant speed on the motorway is probably easier on the box, at least if you go by oil temperature. I've monitored mine and 20 miles on the motorway won't even get the oil above 80 degrees, however 20 miles of constant stop start urban traffic up to 30mph will easily get it over 105. I assume the reason is the torque converter is mostly locked up during fast cruising producing far less heat, and you don't have the slip that occurs in the middle of a gear change which also contributes to heat build up.

Every time you accelerate from a standstill from first through to 3rd most of that time the torque converter is in full slip generating a lot of heat, plus you have the slip and clutch engagement overlap during each gear shift.

So for equal mileage motorway running should be far easier on the box... However if you're also doing a lot less mileage due to the short trips it probably evens out...at least in terms of how many years the box will last.
Thank you very much for the technical information. It means I'm putting greater test on my AL4 with DIII at least in the short term. Let's see how thing goes.
By the way, what gadget do you use to monitor the oil temperature?

Regards,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

begins wrote: By the way, what gadget do you use to monitor the oil temperature?
A Citroen Lexia or ELIT diagnostic machine...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

Hi there,

That Lexia again…pardon my ignorance, until now, I still have no clue on how to buy one from the ebay or Amazon.

Regards,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hopefully someone who's recently bought one can recommend one. That's really needed as there’s hundreds on offer at any one time and knowing which to choose is not easy.

I can't help as although I have one it was bought a long while ago now and I believe the seller no longer deals in them.
Jim

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

See my post here:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=44846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't have experience with either seller but its going by following conversations on here about both :)

Of course they might not post to your part of the world and if not maybe some kind soul on here could be the recipient for you and post it onto you. :) worth seeing if either ship directly though.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

Hi all,

Just an update here. It has been almost a year now and I'm still using DIII or LT compatible ATF in my AL4. So far so good. Pretty satisfied with the decision to use aftermarket DIII.

Regards,
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Pleased with your results.
My box is Aisin. Toyota fluid or JWS3309.
I got a great deal on 20 litres of this. http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive ... sector=Car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Millers also recommend this for your ZF Boxes . http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive ... sector=Car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

lexi wrote:Pleased with your results.
My box is Aisin. Toyota fluid or JWS3309.
I got a great deal on 20 litres of this. http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive ... sector=Car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Millers also recommend this for your ZF Boxes . http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive ... sector=Car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for the recommendation.

I doubt we have the Millers over here. I paid about euro 5.8 per Liter of DIII ATF here. The Esso LT is about euro 10.50 per Liter over here. Hence the reason not to go with the overpriced Esso LT.

Regards,