C5 suspension problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Slinnian

C5 suspension problems

Post by Slinnian »

My 2001 c5 appears possessed! From time to time the car rises and falls on its own with it's so called pneumatic suspension system! Is this an easy fix or can you disable this? Makes me look like a rapper and ain't funny no more! Thanks :-D
kentc5
My Cars:

Re: C5 suspension problems

Post by kentc5 »

Hi

The supension is meant to adjust the height and level it self off even if the car is not running with the engine off.
But the question is when does your adjust it self? and how much does it adjust it self?
Current Cars:
Citroen Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive ('98)
Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS ('03)
Audi A6 C6 2.4 V6 SE ('05)
BMW 735i Individual M-Pack ('00)
Lexus GS300SE Navigator ('98)
Toyota Prius T-Spirit ('04)
Slinnian

Post by Slinnian »

It's very intermittent. There's times it would be parked in my drive on a level surface and start bobbing up and down! I find if the wheels are exactly straight it helps, or if I continues on I need to raise it to the highest level and drop it to normal again. It's usually rights it for a bit. It's a strange one!
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

You have nothing to worry about. My sons C5, 01Reg, 200,000 miles has been doing this for years, with no ill effects. My own C5, 06 Reg, facelift model 90,000 miles seems to do this after long journeys. Both settle down when parked for a few minutes. Recently had a funny experience in a Tesco car park, a young employee at the main door, was having a cigarette break, as I walked towards him he approached me with a worried look on his face ''excuse me Sir - I think your car is going to take off'' .I had to explain to him the benefits of owning a Citroen C5.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is not unusual for them to do this although I have only ever had one instance and this on the current C5 when dropping my daughter off - we were sat in the car talking for a few moments, engine running, wheels turned toward the kerb when it suddenly dropped about three inches, then rose to the normal height again.

We had previously passed over a series of impressive speed bumps.

Estate never did it as far as I am aware.

They are reputed to do this at traffic lights when the wheels are turned to one side or the other.

Dancing cars, what more could you ask for :)
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

Hi all,

We are more optimistic about this here. My car occasionally did that after driving over a bumpy road and stop at the traffic light. It will also do that if I do not straighten the steering wheel while waiting by the road side.

I read from other Citroen forum that:
“.. the car is searching for the correct level but couldn't find it and at the end it give up and lowered itself.
Another scenario is that this C5 will move up and down by itself even after u switch off the engine.
Then this message comes out 'SERIOUS SUSPENSION FAULT’ “

Another one:
“...For xantia if it happens like in your case meaning that the spheres need to re-gas or the spheres need replacement. Pray that no need replacement cause quite expensive...”

Regards,
Slinnian

Post by Slinnian »

Many thanks all for your feedback. Some of it is very humorous and relaxs me a little! It also reminded me of the time I left it in to get serviced and it started doing its Herbie thing. As i was walking out of the garage I looked behind me and seen an audience of around 20 guys standing staring at it in bewilderment! Needless to say it was a bit embarrassing but very funny now! I also now think our friend from Malaysia might be onto something when he says about the spheres needing replaced. WHen i was getting it ready for the MOT the mechanic said he thought one of the pnuematic systems was leaking and might need replaced at a cost of around £150 for the part! I think i can live with the dancing car at the minute without having to fork out that money on parts alone :-)
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

If there is a leak you should have to top up the oil level. If topping -up is not needed you have NO leak
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Well firstly when the wheels are turned then the anti roll bar will be in twisted state.. for example off side pushing down nearside in the up position...

i thought it would be to do with worn anti roll bar bush rubber...of course i could be wrong again but only a guess..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Slinnian

Post by Slinnian »

**UPDATE**

found a leak and discovered the whole suspension fluid had been drained! i fixed the damaged pipe, and using one of the eezibleed tools http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gunson-G4062-Ee ... B001KTFIWA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was able to replace the fluid and flush the whole system through. ever since the car had stopped rapping!!