Xantia Mk1 Clutch pedal cable clip broken! BACK on the road!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flying clutchman
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Mk1 Clutch pedal cable clip broken!Replace cable

Post by flying clutchman »

mendedit wrote:Know what i'd do? Do the job properly, gather together all the parts, give yourself a weeks worth of time and follow the book.
None of bend this, lever the that, bon't bother with that, cut, bash ect.
Take your time bolt by bolt clip by clip and it'll be done properly as it came from the factory and feel pride in a job well done!
If only life (and citroens) was that simple.
cc101

Post by cc101 »

Well my nearly 20 year old sinker broke its original black clip last week! You'd be better off buying one direct from Citroen, less than a fiver! Well I must say I'd rather change a clutch than do that clip again, so awkward it's unbelievable, make sure the cable is seated firmly in the clip so the metal locking clip holds it there or you'll be doing it again! I pulled the brake pedal forwards and pushed it over towards the gearstick to get the bolt out, I also took the steering wheel off. Took about an hour and half and lots of 'what the he'll we're they thinking when designing this'!

All the best, you can do it!
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Not sure of your exact location, but based on manchest0r I may have found a couple of Citroen dealers in your area.

http://www.manchester.citroen.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.manchestersouth.citroen.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fact that the broken clip in your picture is black would suggest that it has never been replaced. The cream clip is a newer design, and much better quality.
ah but there is these after market cheaper clips which i have experienced or the proper clip from the dealer clip which you really SHOULD fit..

Please don't even try that cheap clip get the genuine one!!

otherwise You may well regret it like i did!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

And that is why I pointed the OP in the direction of Citroen dealerships (I hope, based on location).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Still the same price at Citroen:

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000212821 CLUTCH CABLE LINKAGE 3.47 GBP 4.16 GBP 4.16 GBP

0000213805 CLUTCH CABLE STOP CLIP 1.22 GBP 1.46 GBP 1.46 GBP
Richard W
reanimation
My Cars: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI Desire
Xantia ph1 1.9d (sadly gone forever)

Post by reanimation »

As always you've all been fab! I'll try hunt down a clip from Citroen Manchester, If i have a go myself, I'll probs rummage upside down in teh drivers footwell, taking the steering wheel off is a good idea as there's no air bag. Thanks will report back with any action...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When I replaced the clip (and cable) I had 2 advantages; the bolt was the 'engineers' way round (from gearbox to driver door), and I am reasonably flexible so I could get into (and turn around) in the footwell.

IIRC there was a comprehensive guide writen up by falling-out-with-my-car. If you can find it you will find it useful.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
flying clutchman
My Cars:

reanimation wrote:As always you've all been fab! I'll try hunt down a clip from Citroen Manchester, If i have a go myself, I'll probs rummage upside down in teh drivers footwell, taking the steering wheel off is a good idea as there's no air bag. Thanks will report back with any action...
Steering wheel off? How does that help?I've always done the job laying half out the drivers door, the steering wheel doesn't enter into the equation. A light is useful by the way.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

PS blue tack is very useful. When you need to fit the bolt and nut together, you will not be able to get the nut back on (unless you have VERY slender, VERY long fingers!). Hold the nut in the open ended spanner with the blue tack. Somebody else suggested Superglue (which probably would work, as it will hold when you need it to, but is brittle enough to snap when you need to get the spanner back).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Blu Tak is an essential item in the toolbox for all kinds of jobs on cars. I use way more of it for holding small nuts and washers in sockets and the like than I ever do for sticking things on the wall!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
flying clutchman
My Cars:

CitroJim wrote:Blu Tak is an essential item in the toolbox for all kinds of jobs on cars. I use way more of it for holding small nuts and washers in sockets and the like than I ever do for sticking things on the wall!
I'm obviously missing out on this engineering aid, I'll take some out with me tomorrow. Never had much problem getting the nut back on, I'd reckon that's one of the easier bits to do!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

CitroJim wrote:Blu Tak is an essential item in the toolbox for all kinds of jobs on cars. I use way more of it for holding small nuts and washers in sockets and the like
Never thought of Blu Tak - I've always used a dab of heavy grease to hold small nuts in sockets

As per usual, the Forum's a mine of information :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
reanimation
My Cars: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI Desire
Xantia ph1 1.9d (sadly gone forever)

Re: Xantia Mk1 Clutch pedal cable clip broken! BACK on the r

Post by reanimation »

Hiya French Car fans,

Thank you for all your help, it all took longer than expected. Looks like this poor old Citroen has been now undriven for about 8 months! Wow, My garage took 3 months to get round to doing the job! by which time the MOT/Insurance/Tax was all out What didn't help was the Head Gasket going on My Mondeo Si last month! :? :( So Cycling and joyful public transport for us for a month!
It's back, and another half grand invested along with tax, hope and pray the clip doesn't snap again, it's a proper Citroen part, and a new cable (one I got from GSF was wrong) feels a lot better a lot lighter, i think it was original clip and cable so understandable it went after 18 and a bit years. I just cant afford for my health sake for it to break again. Clutch itself doesnt feel too bad now, not as high and not noticably slipping, so might just see how I get on... :idea: :!: [-o<

MOT wise, rear brakes done, surely and I hope they didn't think handbrake was on rear surely... :idea: [-X
bulbs wipers and other stuff that surprised me and very dangerous ball joint, hmm strange.

So anyway back on the road after all this time. Wish me luck. 3rd day in use and so far so good, paranoid about cable. was a light click on day one but that was just the cable nipple getting comfortable I expect, seems OK...
If clutch seems to slip a lot will look at clutch replacement, any recommendations for fitters? and also might look at pipe condition and replacement of one or 2 strut return pipes and maybe fluid, any recommendations on someone to do that?

Cheers, here are the unwashed pics, enjoy!! :lol:

mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

Now prepare for responses from the Great Unwashed !
The world is full of them and a lot are in
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mendedit wrote:Now prepare for responses from the Great Unwashed !
Looks clean enough to me in an appealing rat-like way :-D

Well done and pleased to see it back on the road!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...