Xantia 2.0l HDi (110bhp)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Xantia 2.0l HDi (110bhp)

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi all,

Time for another post. Seems just when I get the car perfect that something annoying pops up.

I have had a light on the dashboard come on in the last couple of days. It is a picture of a man sat in a seat with a seatbelt on and what looks like a bag next to him. I looked it up in the book and it says it is the side airbag symbol. This is news to me as I didn't think it has a side airbag.There is a main airbag (AIRBAG in words) symbol and this other airbag symbol. I looked it up in Haynes and it says there was no information on side airbags at time of writing!

I know it has the main drivers side airbag in the steering wheel and the passenger side airbag in the dashboard which I can turn on/off with the key.

Anyone know what is going on?

Steve
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Re: Xantia 2.0l HDi (110bhp)

Post by electronmirror »

Steve,

It is indeed the side airbag symbol. If you look on the side of the seat almost opposite the upper seat belt fastening you may be able to see the word 'Airbag' in red lettering. There is a side airbag on both front seats.

The most common reason for the warning light coming on is a poor connection in the multiway plug/socket under the seat. Usual advice is to disconnect the battery and leave for 5-10 minutes then separate the plug and socket under the seat, spray with contact cleaner and re-assemble. In some cases people have found it necessary to replace that flimsy plug and socket with one of better quality. It has also been known for people to cut off both plug and socket then solder the wires directly together. That's probably a bit extreme and it makes future removal of a seat more time consuming.

Don't try separating the plug/socket before disconnecting the battery.....you might get a lively demonstration of airbag deployment when you least expect it :-D.

Ted
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (118,000miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello there,

If you look on the outside upright of each of the front seats, you should see indications that they have a side airbag fitted. What you have got is a situation that, for some reason, one or both of them is no longer responding to the starting diagnostic test, thereby getting the warning light.

According to this forum, this should be simple to resolve. Make sure that you do not have the ignition on (you DON'T want the airbags going off, so take the key out!), raise the front seats and have a look underneath. You should see a housing under each seat near to the center of the car. This is one of two connectors. Unplug the connector, clean it with proper contact cleaner, and plug it in/unplug it a few times to (hopefully) get a good clean connection. Do this on both sides. Plug them back in, and see if they pass the test routine.

Unfortunately for me, this hasn't worked on Gracie, leading me to think one of the wires has failed. According to this forum this is not that uncommon, so the next stage for me is to change the wiring where I can, and see if that sorts it out.

EDIT. Ted got there before me, and his advise re the battery is better than mine re the key.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

electronmirror , hellrazor... you two not got beds to goto? :-D :-D :-D :-D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perfect advice there above.. If your not planning to remove your seats any time soon, then I would solder them. but its quite likely the connector... However, Air Bag ECU's are known to fail too..

Has this happend after a recent seat move??? It useually is..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Could playing about with my new Lexia cause the airbag light to flash
allan
Xantia 2.0i SX Auto, 1999
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I play pool on Monday nights, so I got home at 23:30. As I am holiday this week (well, working on Gracie) I didn't have to go to bed at the usual time.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi all,

Yep fixed that. I checked the electrics blocks under the drivers seat (should have tried that first) the brown block of electrics wasn't seated very well in housing. Clicked it back in and then started car again and the light goes out after about 5 secs like it should.

Thanks again for advice.

Steve
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Great, glad that the forum helped! I have found it invaluable, and (provided nobody thinks I am being a nuisance) will contribute as and when needed (and when I have relevant info).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+