Few problems with my Picasso - long one!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

picassonevermadecars
My Cars:

Few problems with my Picasso - long one!

Post by picassonevermadecars »

I have a Picasso Exclusive 02 plate diesel. I bought it in March 2012 and have had nothing but problems with it since. I do like the car but feel it's time to trade it in but first I would like to tell you the problems I've had and maybe someone can point out a remedy. (Scrap yard probably!)
Firstly I have fitted a new clutch, alternator, 2 tyres and had to purchase a spare wheel and tyre. I had it serviced and had the glow plugs changed as it was very sluggish starting. It seems to start from cold well enough now but when starting from warm/hot it sounds as rough as nuts on turnover and struggles. I have to try 3/4 times 'til it starts. It runs fine after it starts though, weird!
Three weeks ago I went to France on holiday. Everything was ok 'til I stopped for fuel. I topped up, locked up and paid for the diesel. Returned to the car and pressed the unlock on the key.......... nothing! Bugger, I thought the battery in the fob was gone. Unlocked the door with the key but the central locking didn't open all doors, weird again. Car started (after the usual couple of tries) and I moved off the pumps. Indicated to the right, no indicator! Looked on the dash and the red battery light's on. 'Oh No, not the alternator' The alternator is new and the battery was fully charged before leaving UK. Another weird thing, I have all lights, dash and radio but no ancillaries, windows, locking, heating etc.
I now have to make a decision. I have 500 miles to get to my destination. Do I drive 'til the battery gives up, drive to a garage and wait 'til morning and hope they can help me out or stay where I am (Autoroute services) and use my EU assist cover?
I decide to drive and see what happens. It's dark, I'm on the autoroute so I can get away without indicators and the lights are working fine.
I drive for 30 minutes, fine. One hour, fine. It can't be the battery or alternator or I would have lost all electrics by now.
Long of the short is I drove all the way to my destination and went to a local garage so at least I had somewhere to stay (a holiday Gite I'd rented with English couple) nearby.
Car gets fixed. They tell me it was a wiring problem under the dashboard. They then tell me to drive it for a day and pop back in the next day and pay! Would that happen here in UK? I don't think so!
Pops back in next day, pays the bill of €85 and off I go.

Everything is fine 'til yesterday! Come out of home, presses open on key fob........... nothing!! Same fault, exactly the same!
Car starts, drives but no electrics as before. Stops car 10 minutes later. Get back in and for some reason I move the electric mirror control about. All electrics are now working again!
Now, is it a problem with the central locking, key fob? or another electrical fault? I'll be blowed if I know!!

What I'm not going to do is press the key fob again not to open or lock it. Any ideas anyone?
Sorry for the long post but it's best to put it all down as it happened.
Cheers
If it 'aint broke don't fix it but, a little tinkle doesn't hurt, lol
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Few problems with my Picasso - long one!

Post by Lighty »

Hard to diagnose from here, but sounds like your BSI, basically the fuse box, could be knackered.
Your poor starting is prob a lazy starter, HDI's need to spin fast to start.
BSI is not an easy fix, I would keep driving it till u get back here with fingers crossed.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
picassonevermadecars
My Cars:

Lighty wrote:Hard to diagnose from here, but sounds like your BSI, basically the fuse box, could be knackered.
Your poor starting is prob a lazy starter, HDI's need to spin fast to start.
BSI is not an easy fix, I would keep driving it till u get back here with fingers crossed.

Hi. thanks for the reply. I am back in UK now. The French garage did say it was a connection fault under the dash on the fuse box.
I agree with the lazy starter idea, never thought of that one. I just thought is was a bugger to start.
I'll do some looking into the BSI, fuse board problem. Trouble is electrical diagnosis doesn't come cheap.
Thanks again.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Could the lazy starter be a poor earth lead, or poor + ve lead from the battery?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
picassonevermadecars
My Cars:

All avenues will be looked at as I don't really want to get rid of the car but, that may be an option, trade in whatever. I have done some looking around other web sites and a BSI reset has been mentioned a few times. Anyone know if it works?