Wiring Citroen HY Van

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stropalot

Wiring Citroen HY Van

Post by stropalot »

Hello People,
Could do with some technical help on the wiring of my hvan. Ive looked at the technical diagrams but cant make sense of the parts i need.
Ive bought a new starter relay, i cant figure out where the two wires that come off it connect to?
Im prety sure im missing the flasher unit somewhere along the way but have no idea where this should be located.
Also trying to figure out where some of the wires go behind the dash, most of them that are grey so giving no indication where they connect to :shock:
So was wondering if anyone has any pictures of the wiring maybe when cataloging a restoration? Having exhausted google searches im at a loss.
Many thanks, Adam
handyman
My Cars:

Re: Wiring Citroen HY Van

Post by handyman »

Hullo Adam, there aren't too many HY posts on here, so your post might have fallen on stoney ground.

As a qualified magician in the black art of electrickery, email me your wiring diagram and I'll have a gander. Is it a pukka works diagram, as they do contain all the information, but you need to be able to interpret them? :mrgreen:

Handyman
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you need to look at the colour coded ends on each of the wires, as citroen tend to use bunch's of the same coloured wires so these dont mean a thing,

ther only prob is the coloured indicators at each wire end fade and almost always look different to the colour they started out to be,

somewhere i think on the CCC forum or citronet there are PDF's of a lot of old citroen manuals, i will have a look this eve to see if i can find them
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps.
were are you located
Regards, malcolm.

stropalot

Post by stropalot »

handyman wrote:Hullo Adam, there aren't too many HY posts on here, so your post might have fallen on stoney ground.

As a qualified magician in the black art of electrickery, email me your wiring diagram and I'll have a gander. Is it a pukka works diagram, as they do contain all the information, but you need to be able to interpret them? :mrgreen:

Handyman

That would be great it you could have a look for me. It is a diagram from a propper workshop manual but it is in Dutch (i can translate most with an iphone app)
I can see wires on the diagram going into the loom but cant follow them out.
If you could send me your email address i will send it over.
Cheers
stropalot

Post by stropalot »

citronut wrote:you need to look at the colour coded ends on each of the wires, as citroen tend to use bunch's of the same coloured wires so these dont mean a thing,

ther only prob is the coloured indicators at each wire end fade and almost always look different to the colour they started out to be,

somewhere i think on the CCC forum or citronet there are PDF's of a lot of old citroen manuals, i will have a look this eve to see if i can find them

I thought the coloured ends should match up but many are missing, i think a lot have been changed to blue ends :?
Ive got a manual in Dutch but following it difficult (not as simple as a haynes)
Behind the dash most are not connected and most are the same lenght so could potentially connect to any of the loose spades.
As its my first van restoration ive no idea whats missing or where things should go.
If you do get chance to have a look and could shed some light on the situation i would be very gratefull.
Im in Wolverhampton
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Adam, I've PM'd you an email address.

Do not worry about the manual being in Dutch as I can understand much, but do not ask me to converse in it. I got accused of being from South Africa, the last time I was in Holland and attempted to hold a conversation with the natives. :shock: [-X

Shame your not in Gods Own County, Sunny Sussex, as Malc (Citronut) & I could do much lookseeing, sucking of teeth and laughing. 8-[ :roll:

Just send me the wiring diags and a list of the components you are trying to locate. I'll try and have a look at the weekend, but SWMBO has got me on chocolate filling as its a busy time of the year for chocolatiers.

Handyman
Last edited by handyman on 08 Nov 2012, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

handyman wrote:
Just send me the wiring diags and a list of the components you are trying to locate. I'll try and have a look at the weekend, but SWMBO has got me on chocolate filling as its a busy time of the year for chocolatiers.

Handyman
You don't need any QA tasters by any chance :roll:
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hullo Steve, QA testers are not required as that is done in-house, but we do look out for guinea pigs willing to sample new lines and send back a feedback sheet. Are you offering? :-D Downside of this risky operation is that once recruited and samples are sent, the guinea pigs become addicted and have to start buying the chocolates to satiate their cravings, as timings between sample testing is quite long and labourious. #-o [-o< [-o<

Would you like me to have a word with SWMBO? [-o< 8-[

H
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

handyman wrote:Hi Adam, I've PM'd you an email address.

Do not worry about the manual being in Dutch as I can understand much, but do not ask me to converse in it. I got accused of being from South Africa, the last time I was in Holland and attempted to hold a conversation with the natives. :shock: [-X

Shame your not in Gods Own County, Sunny Sussex, as Malc (Citronut) & I could do much lookseeing, sucking of teeth and laughing. 8-[ :roll:

Handyman
Richard i think in light of the colour coded end being non existent this will require hands on help not virtual help over tintranet,
Regards, malcolm.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have copied the link for this thread onto the CCC forum H section requesting hands on help local to Adam/Wolverhampton area
Regards, malcolm.

stropalot

Post by stropalot »

citronut wrote:i have copied the link for this thread onto the CCC forum H section requesting hands on help local to Adam/Wolverhampton area
Thanks for all the help, i think you may be right, to some one who has seen/worked on the wiring before would im sure be able to figure it out in a jiffy.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Adam
the problem as i see it is were your colour coded end have been lost, it will require someone with automotive knowledge and a test meter and test lamp to trace which wires come and go were
Regards, malcolm.

aevans42
New User

Post by aevans42 »

Hello The Starter Relay comes with a battery clamp, for the positive terminal, a long fat wire, to the Starter terminal and 2 thin wires. One of the thin wires is the main live feed to the van and the other goes to earth via the ignition switch and starter button.
If you look carefully at the relay you should be able to work out which is which, or test with a bulb. On my van the 2 thin wires that attach to the Starter relay assembly run off in the direction of the Accelerator pedal.

The Indicator relay seems to be located in the switch housing. I thought mine was not working but it needs the current to be drawn by both bulbs to operate so they all need to have very good connections and very, very good earths. Everyone of the earths on all rear light assemblies, Indicator, stop and tail our van were poor.
My suggestion would be to start with the light units first. This site : http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has cheap repair bulb holders to refurbish your old lights so you won't need to spend a lot of money on replacements. Note that the site has cheap replacement headlights but we have not checked if they fit the HY.

As to the rest of the wiring, if you go on our website : http://www.citroenhyonline.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and use the contact page to email us with the details of what you need, I will take photos of our van.
coastline taxis

Post by coastline taxis »

hi try this
http://agua.nu/ds-files/tony-jackson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;