Eolys?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: Eolys?

Post by citronut »

this is being discussed in another thread here,

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=50195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobin has posted a useful chart taken from service citroen
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

I would say that the RPO number would be the definitive indicator rather than the connector colour, which could have been changed since it left the factory. RPO numbers relate directly to the date of manufacture (you can determine your mechanical offsprings birth date!) and Citroen would know which date they changed the fluid type etc. It's not like when you buy a new car and get it registered which can be many months after it was actually manufactured.
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The cap colour thing may only have applied to mk1 C5's ?
With yours being an 06 model it will almost certainly be a mk2 ?
All mk2's use 176.
Filling the tank with diesel if the DPF has not been removed will cause it to block prematurely.
Dont know what effect using the wrong fluid will have but i imagine it will be a long term thing & not show any problems straight away.
haydent
My Cars: Citroen C5 II HDI

Post by haydent »

cheers all ! the ebayer im looking to buy from has been saying the same thing.
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

I had this particular issue a while ago. It seems you cant get the DPX 42 anymore (unless from main stealers!) I agree with Waynedance and have been using PATfluid with no problems. To spread the cost I have been buying it one litre at a time. Each litre covers about 10,000 miles so I've been topping up after every 5,000 or so to keep ahead of the game. I defo recommend getting the filler kit because it requires putting car on highest suspension point, lying on your back parallel to the passenger rear door behind the rear wheel and looking under the car for a 5 litre black plastic looking tank that's next to the bigger main fuel tank. facing you will be a plastic cap about the size of a wine bottle top. This has to be removed. You can either fill directly through this or use the smaller filler tubing that runs up the side of the tank and up the wheel arch. The kit comes with the correct adaptors to plug straight into this.

First time I did this I used the proper technique which took ages for the fluid to empty from the bottle. Second time I just decanted straight into the tank via the bigger cap.

Where gloves and eye protection because although it doesn't hurt if you get in on your skin, your face will be close to the filling process and I would imagine it would not do your eyes or skin any favours at all.

Take your time with sensible precautions and you should have no problems. The only problem you may encounter is resetting the computer via the lexia cos its a real faff.

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Hi Bandit,
A couple of questions:
Did you drain the remaining Eolys before adding the PAT fluid? Some say you shouldn't mix the two.
What exactly is the Lexia procedure? It would make a useful 'sticky' here! Did you tell it that you had added a litre, or simply that the tank had been refilled?
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi Dnsey

I did not drain the remaing fluid just added. I posted on here a while ago and Waynedance convinced me that it would be ok. So far and several thousand miles later I've had no problems. The only issue I had was with the lexia. It is a convoluted process of switching car off and on, removing fuel filler cap, adding 5 litres of deisel then restarting and i'm not convinced I was successful. I tried to tell the tank it was full. the instructions for resetting the counter are on the lexia but be warned you will need a 5 litre can of fuel to top up car while the lexia is hooked up. I didnt do this as my laptop battery is pants and it will only work when hooked up to the mains. I run laptop attached to extension lead from house.

I agree that a sticky on the procedure would be useful tho. Ill PM a moderator and find out how this is done.

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

I used a launch x341 to reset my counter was very straight forward. I mixed the fluids and do 12k a year and not had any problems, must have done well over 20k not sure when i filled the tank.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Thanks for your replies guys.
I've got a feeling that my DPF has been drilled through by a previous owner, as the Eolys tank has been vitually empty since I first looked at it months ago, but I've had no warnings or problems. Interestingly, the DPF sometimes rattles, rather like loose exhaust baffles :wink:
It would be useful to have the sticky here just in case, though, and of course for anyone else who needs to top up.
The Launch costs a bit more than a Lexia clone, I see :shock:
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Launch is dear but work at a garage with an array of diagnostic kit.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
haydent

Post by haydent »

dnsey wrote:Thanks for your replies guys.
I've got a feeling that my DPF has been drilled through by a previous owner,
I actually thought mine might have been bypassed remapped too for various reasons, such as: no dpf fluid (not sure for how long), not blocked (though not sure how close to if it was going to), no communication with diesel additive ecu, no warnings, no fuel cap missing warning (if left off).

So easy way to find out, took the dpf off to inspect it and its intact after all.... (its very easy to take off, the 4 bolts & nuts are not fixed in any way as appears, and eather bolt or nut can be undone depending on easy of access choice) also while out i reverse flushed it with water, not a lot came out.

As for the rest of the symptoms, the fuel cap sensor is stuck on present (trying to source a 2nd hand one) the diesel ecu had been disabled in lexia, and once enabled it started throwing fault, as there is no communication with it, but it has started working again mysteriously and also a couple of times the fuel cap missing error came up while driving, so these 2 things likely why the ecu was 'disabled'.

Anyway with it re-enabled properly and working i can actually go into it in lexia and see the stats, and test the additive pump sounds ok, so i ordered more fluid.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Just came on here to find out about Eolys and find this. Hope you don't mind my asking here.

I have an antipollution fault. Took car to garage they run diagbostics and they find an open curcuit in the filler cap. Now they need to find this but the guy at the garage said that the fault will have messed witu the Eolys. And it needs fuxing because it could cause damage. Thing is I thought Eolys was only on a 2.2 ltr C5 and my C5 is a 1999ltr 135bhp 06 exclusive. I thought it had NO Eolys. Am I wrong?
C'est pas possible!
haydent

Post by haydent »

i have the 2L diesel and it has eolys. open circuit on the filler cap likely means the cable connecting the sensor to additive ecu is disconnected or broken. that there would be more problems because of this is an assumption and i would not risk wasting lots of money at this stage. just get the sensor going again, then see how it goes. the only problem youll maybe have because the sensor has not been working is that because the eolys as not been being added the might some soot build up due to incomplete burnoff. at worst it maybe getting blocked, which might be what your error is. so having said that it depends on if the error is just because the sensor is open circuit or because the filter is blocked.

to test if the sensor is working or not or if its a problem with the ecu, you can disconnect the ecu plug behind the glove box and measure the 2 pins for the sensor's resistance. there is also a connection above the fuel tank where it can be measured to further narrow in on the fault location (but i have not had to get to that one).
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

I have been getting an occassional judder. Very occassional though.
C'est pas possible!
haydent

Post by haydent »

i was getting that (even complete stops too) but it seems to have stopped fingers crossed. i did clean the manifold air pressure and temperature sensors though with maf cleaner if that had anything to do with it...