03 C5 2ltr hdi be sluggish going uphill...could this be the

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stu9

03 C5 2ltr hdi be sluggish going uphill...could this be the

Post by stu9 »

Even a slight one, even if I'm doing about 40ish in 4th, I have to go to 3rd sometimes 2nd :roll: ....but driving in general, I find it quite sluggish, is it because the engine's not powerfull enough for it's size ie old 8v allbeit 110hp. The reason I ask is because my Pug 306 (same engine but a 90) is some much more resposive and easy to to drive, is it because it's smaller and less weight to pull

Filters ect were done just a few weeks ago

I'm seriously close to putting a turbotuning dt box in it....C5 that is
Last edited by stu9 on 09 Nov 2012, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Should an 03 C5 2ltr hdi be sluggish going uphill

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Yours is probably like mine at the moment it's a new prolbem for me that car should, and used to, fly up the hills but now gets embarrassingly slow and needs downchanging to second on the steep ones. I know the problem is low pressure in the intake due to turbo and will when the weather improves set about sorting it.

Low pressure can be caused by a number of things from faulty turbo to leaks in the pipes, intercooler etc and leaks on the vacuum side and dodgy electrovalves.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

And quite possibly a sad and sorry MAF sensor as well...

A diagnostic will likely help Stu. MAF sensors rarely reveal themselves in the way of stored faults but will soon show if they are happy by looking at live data from them.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

i had this problem when i got mine a 03 2.0 hdi the xsara 90 hdi i sold would of left this standing in any situation. sorted it by cleaning the maf slightly better after that then removed the slack from the throttle cable huge improvement but still got a small leak on the intercooler to do.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Thanks chaps....only think about disconnecting the maf is if the eml comes on....if it does, will it go out itself after a while or no
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

mine is going the same way..
but in my case, I have a anti-pollution warning and EML light to accompany the slow down.. and no lexia..
:(

I will try and get a look over the weekend at the maf though

:)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote: and no lexia..
John, when are you next up this neck of the woods?

Always a Lexia and a cuppa here for you :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stu9

Post by stu9 »

jgra1 wrote:mine is going the same way..
but in my case, I have a anti-pollution warning and EML light to accompany the slow down.. and no lexia..
:(

I will try and get a look over the weekend at the maf though

:)

I dont have any lights (yet..) just bloody sluggish, really embarrasing
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

stu9 wrote: I dont have any lights (yet..) just bloody sluggish, really embarrasing
Stu, if you're anywhere nearby (just a swallow's flight from M1 J14) the same diagnostics offer I made to John is open to you too...
Jim

oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

doubt the eml light will show at all on a 03 model for a dirty maf. not sure where you are but i have a lexia aswell if you want to try it
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
stu9

Post by stu9 »

I'm Glasgow....I'll try it then

Are the Lexia hdi's the same engine
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

stu9 wrote: Are the Lexia hdi's the same engine
Lexia is the name of the Citroen Diagnostic Machine Stu.

A number of us on here have them courtesy of some very nice Chinese people who are very good at copying the genuine article :lol:

Basically, it's an interface and a lump of software that runs on a laptop.
Jim

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

many thanks Jim :)

not really a hope of getting up there soon ;( but whatever is wrong with mine, it sometimes clears and drives well (with light still on) and also the light will turn off some mornings, after starting.. so it's something intermittent in the workings somewhere :)
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

40mph in 4th it will be like a limp dishrag. My 2.2 won't even pull 40 in 4th without vibrating and compaining. :lol:

How long you had the car, it sounds like you just have to get used to the HDi powerband. I've always found C5's to have very tall gearing as well.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
stu9

Post by stu9 »

oneday wrote:doubt the eml light will show at all on a 03 model for a dirty maf. not sure where you are but i have a lexia aswell if you want to try it
It did!

Infact it ran worse with it disconnected, so it's fine

It must just be the engine, as in not powerfull enough for the car/shell

@ Saab.....2 weeks but had one about 2 years ago, same kind, it felt quicker....maybe someone mapped it

I dont need to get used their power as allready mentioned I've still got an 01 306 2ltr hdi....that's a bullet compared to this

I guess Citroen must have said..."right, let's give the 2ltr C5 est 110hp that'll be plenty...bollox!...wonder if they even drove them in real world situations....doubt it or they'd have gave it about 150+hp THEN it'd be good to drive....but just now...