V6 24valve engines

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyg
My Cars:

V6 24valve engines

Post by tonyg »

Hi
Has anyone a XM, C5 or Xantia with the new 24V V6 (i.e. post '97? model) with the adaptive auto box? What are these like to drive? I'm thinking of getting a V6 C5.
Tony
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

My Dad has a C5 Exclusive Estate with a V6 and an Autobox. Driven it a couple of times and the consenus we have come to is that unless you intend to redline it in every gear and thrash around, which given that the C5 is a bit of barge and doesn't like being thrown around is a bad idea, then there is really little advantage over the 2.2 HDi engine which makes the car very relaxing to drive.
It does have a bit more urgency about it and its revs more freely but I guess the autobox saps a bit of that away - a manual would be a real rocket. Its a very good petrol engine, very smooth and refined with power constantly on tap.
The autobox is pretty good, nice smooth changes and rapid kickdown. The auto adaptive function does get its wired crossed a bit at times after a high speed run through the gears if you have to suddenly slow down behind a slow moving vehicle it tends to hang onto the gears again for a couple of shifts when you're only accelerating slowly. Not a problem really, just something I've observed.
The trip computer was showing 21MPG last time I saw it, my 2.2 HDi will do twice that given the same use.
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

Have no knowledge of the C5, but the V6 engine in my '97 Xantia propels it quickly. You have to "adapt" to the Autoadaptive box! In hilly terrain it works very well. For instance, it detects the brake being applied and changes down. It will then hold the low ratio until the accelerator is pressed. On the other hand, it "goes lazy" after a spell on a motorway and as the previous writer mentioned, it is reluctant to change down. Rather than using the kick-down, or selecting Sport Mode, I simply use the manual over-ride. The C5 has a sequential lever, so no problem there.
As is typical with multi valve engines, the power only comes on at higher revs. Starts to come on strongly at 2500rpm and at 3000rpm it flys.
I get 31 mpg on motorway with a/c on or off! It drops to 29mpg on my daily 25 mile M4 journey into London. The engine at 123k is as sweet as it was when I bought it (9k). Only two engine faults - failed coolant transmitter, burst coolant pipe.
I see "Motor Mechanics" this month has a section on the C5 and problems with the rear suspension. Sounds like some have needed a replacement sub-frame due to a wheel alignment problem. They also mention the cures applied to fix the famous rear end knock.
To be frank, although the C5 Exclusive is impressive gadget wise, it hasn't exactly exited me into buying one. As an inveterate diy type, I don't want a car not covered by Haynes. I can't see Haynes ever doing the C5 although repair and servicing data for the V6 engine and the ZF HP4 gearbox data are available on a Peugeot site (for a fee).