berlingo 2.0 hdi starting problem after engine replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ge0rge

berlingo 2.0 hdi starting problem after engine replacement

Post by ge0rge »

i have an 05 berlingo van i had to replace the engine in, my van is the 2.0 hdi with the engine code rhy with siemens set up, i replaced the engine with an engine with the code rhs as i was told by a few people the bare engine is the same, however i have a starting issue i think may be to do with the timing, the van will only start when its cold and only after a good few attempts at cranking, when it is running it seems to be running really well and idling perfect the engine was advertised as remanufactured and was done by a local diesel mechanic.

when i switch the engine off no amount of cranking seems to start it again, my old engine had a fixed cam pulley and this is an adjustable type, do you think there is a chance the timing is out a little due to the adjustable cam? i have timed it up the way its supposed to be and ive checked, checked and double checked im at my witts end now ive had very bad luck with this wee van only had it 2 weeks when the timing slipped, end result new engine, turbo(thought turbo was wrecked as smokey turned out to be injectors) new injectors, new hp diesel pump as i thought that might have been whats causing the starting issue...

someone please help!!!!!
ge0rge

Re: berlingo 2.0 hdi starting problem after engine replaceme

Post by ge0rge »

anyone?
artdjones
My Cars: Citroën C5 1.6 HDi 2005
Peugeot 307 1.6HDi Estate 2005
Peugeot 205GL 1.1 1991

Post by artdjones »

Try changing the cam pulley.We had a similar problem after an engine change last year.In the end we parked the van up for months we were so sick of it.(It was a sale van).In the end the boss made us look at it again.Finally we hauled the old pulley out of a storage box,noticed it was different and refitted it.It then ran perfectly.
ge0rge

Post by ge0rge »

yeah thats what im steering towards, they cam is exactly the same then just the pulley is different?
ge0rge

Post by ge0rge »

here s a quick video of me trying to start it with the first spray of easy start this is just to show the difference between trying to start it cold and the next clip where it starts on the second attempt with easy start and runs fine however when you switch it off and try and start it again after its running the engine seems to jump about...ignore any heavy breathing etc lol im loaded with the cold

Broken links removed. Clips are further down the page.
Last edited by myglaren on 28 Oct 2012, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed broken links.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Links are broken.

The cam pulley, earlier units had the three bolts and the adjustable pulley (TUD / DW8 style really) , later units did not.

Its worth checking the cam sensor too, the airgap needs setting properly if its been to bits in most cases.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
ge0rge

Post by ge0rge »

ge0rge

Post by ge0rge »

ge0rge

Post by ge0rge »

i have put them up seperately they should work now?

new cam and crank shaft sensors have been fitted
spider

Post by spider »

Yes working now. :) , I think it truncated the URL's for some odd reason.

The video's to me look like a fuel pressure fault, the injectors won't be opened by the ECU if the fuel pressure is too low. Perhaps by it running there's enough pressure at idle to allow it to then run as cranking is slower than idle obviously. The fact when it does run, it runs OK points this to me. Easy start bypasses this is its running on that, and fast enough for a second or two to get the high pressure up to a point where the ECU will signal the injectors.

If its practical I'd have a Lexia session to see if there are any fault codes stored (the light is not on when running but that is not always the whole story) , I thought about a weak LP pump at the tank but as far as I remember these tend to either work or not.
Andy.

ge0rge

Post by ge0rge »

its had a new injector pump and theres no pump in the tank its a hand primer which i also replaced with a brand new one and associated pipes when i thought it may be drawing in air, what else would cause the fuel pressure fault?
spider

Post by spider »

Lexia would say. At an initial thought the third piston in the pump is solenoid controlled and used to drop the fuel pressure however if that was acting up the management light would be on for sure I'd expect and it would probably not run at all, or only run up to about 2000 rpm or so.

Will await others thoughts for the moment. I doubt it will actually be much with a bit of luck though.
Andy.

ge0rge

Post by ge0rge »

spider wrote:Lexia would say. At an initial thought the third piston in the pump is solenoid controlled and used to drop the fuel pressure however if that was acting up the management light would be on for sure I'd expect and it would probably not run at all, or only run up to about 2000 rpm or so.

Will await others thoughts for the moment. I doubt it will actually be much with a bit of luck though.
i hope so ive had it 3 months now and only got 2 weeks driving out of it when this happend

initially slipped timing broke rockers i replaced timing belt and it would start but not running right and smokey, fitted new engine(RHS) not RHY that was in it, thats when the starting issue occured when it would start it was pumping out white smoke, mechanic said most likely turbo, fitted new turbo and still the same, got injectors tested they were done, new injectors cleared smoke but still the starting problem, mechanic said hp pump or pressure sensor, replaced both and still the same im chasing my tail as now the diesel mechanic i know is saying get the new injectors tested im throwing all my spare cash at it!

im praying to god that the fella i spoke to elsewhere is right and that i just need my old cam pulley fitted to this engine!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There is no choice - it HAS to go on a (proper, ie Lexia) diag computer. You can't poke and hope with an HDi engine - if the computer says no, then it won't go. At least if you ask the computer, it will (probably!) tell you why it won't let it go.

If you've changed an RHY to an RHS (are you sure it's not an RHZ?) then the ECU may well be confused somewhat. As this was a 'remanufactured' engine, what does the vendor say about it?
Richard W
ge0rge

Post by ge0rge »

new cam pulley and she's firing first turn of the key for the first time in 2 months so thought i would report back if anyone has this trouble in the future, the cam pulley and crank MUST be changed over if fitting an engine with the different engine code