How does this sound

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stu9

How does this sound

Post by stu9 »

I went to see a an 03 C5 2ltr hdi for a grand....but it needs an injector (did say in the ad though so knew about that), but the clutch pedal came dam near to the top before you were off.....and talk about sluggish, my god!....my foot was on the floor in 2nd and it bearly moved/pulled.

I liked it, but the fact it probably needs about £500ish to get these things fixed put me off
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: How does this sound

Post by myglaren »

I'd continue to look, that one seems a bit pricey in view of the fact that you are going to have to spend more on it that you know about - and then there will be the surprises.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

you never know the true condition of car you are buying till at least 6 months after you own it. the car has to be a bargain to allow for the other hidden things you (or the owner) didn't find out about.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Sam KS wrote: the car has to be a bargain to allow for the other hidden things you (or the owner) didn't find out about.
I know, and he made it clear that he's not budging on price...lets just he's an Eastern gent that's obviously to greedy.....he'll probably have it a while unless someone that's desparate wants it
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

I have a rule with people when haggling. if they are being unrealistic or are rude. i make each subsequent offer lower than the previous one.

and something my father said to me about buying houses and cars. "the seller has to sell, the buyer doesn't have to buy." in other words you don't know how much pressure they are under to sell.... possibility at any price.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
stu9

Post by stu9 »

I know....I said to him earlier, it'd need about 500ish to put right between the injector (supply, fit and code) and a clutch, when I said about £350-4 for one the clown tried to say, rubbish about 150 will get it done...I said yes maybe if you do it yourself...I cant!. he then said, the injector's dont need coded, I said yes they did.

This the guy that said at the start of the viewing "you probably know more about mechanicals than me"....if that's the case, why make yourself sound a dick saying injectors dont need coded :roll:

It's a nice looking (well apart from the front end/lights.....it's bloody horrible!) and driving car aswell....well apart from the fact it's wouldnt pull hardly at all, which I didnt think of at the time, but I now think is the maf.....I dont think i'll be going back to see it though.....if it wasnt him wanting to much but not willing to budge, it might have worth the gamble, oh well
Last edited by stu9 on 23 Oct 2012, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

There are many C5s out there to choose from, dont settle for that one, its not a good example. Injectors are expensive, possible replacement clutch, slow performance (though an iffy injector wont help that?) and so on.

Keep looking :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Citroenmad wrote:There are many C5s out there to choose from

Not for £1500 in the Glasgow area there's not
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

stu9 wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:There are many C5s out there to choose from

Not for £1500 in the Glasgow area there's not
Traveling is often required but if its the right car then its not a problem. Spending a day out to collect a car which your going to live with for years seems like a good investment. However, travel and find the wrong car and its a bit of a nightmare!

I bought my first C5 3 years ago for £1200, a 2002 2.0HDi SX with 108K. Its a great car and has not caused any real problems, we still have it, now with almost 150K.

So well priced and good C5s can be found but it might take time.

I guess it depends if you can travel to get a car and also how soon you need one.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Citroenmad wrote:However, travel and find the wrong car and its a bit of a nightmare!

That's happened before so very reluctant to do it now
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Look on ebay, I have bought two this year, one 2.2 Hdi estate with a few problems and needing a set of tyres but with nearly 6 months tax and MOT, I paid £300. for that and its very nice mechanically but with a few marks on the body but still looks nice

The second one I bought a few weeks ago was a 2.0 Hdi estate which was what I really wanted in the first place, very tidy body in metallic red, high mileage, short MOT and tax but only needed a suspension bush for MOT, I paid £550. for that one.

Put a 'saved search' on ebay and it will show you all the new ones that come on.

Peter
stu9

Post by stu9 »

I know Peter....that's what this one's probably worth, or what he paid for it (or less) and trying to double his money b :grr: d!

I do like them though....well as said above....apart from the headlights!....the "fancy" suspension frightens me though, probably better to scrap them at the age when it goes
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

stu9 wrote: he then said, the injector's dont need coded, I said yes they did.

This the guy that said at the start of the viewing "you probably know more about mechanicals than me"....if that's the case, why make yourself sound a dick saying injectors dont need coded :roll:
He's actually right, on this engine & injection system the injectors don't need coded.
stu9

Post by stu9 »

I stand corrected then, and i'm the dick :mrgreen:

It's still to much though for 10months mot, a clutch pedal that comes up far to high to bite and an bearing needed in the alternator (if that's what's at the front of the block) and 135k with no history
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i wouldnt even argue to T*O*S*S with the guy i would just walk away, cant be woth getting wound up over
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years