Hissing noise from my XM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tudor
My Cars:

Hissing noise from my XM

Post by tudor »

Have this car(xm estate) M reg,runs well enough except for this hissing sound I get from the front of the car. My local citroen dealer
has had a look at the car checked it over and said it is either.
A pressure regulator or a flow valve? When I asked him which one is ,he said it might be one or the other and that it was up to me to choose...!
I am living in Kent,so if anyone out there knows where I could get
my car looked at or could offer some advice. Regards Tudor
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

That's not an informative Citroen mechanic - is it [:(!]
Have the engine running idle - select neutral & apply hand/parking brakes. Then open the bonnet and try locate where the hissing sound comes from.
You should however notice - that clicking & hissing noises from a hydraulic Citroen are to be considered normal - because of the hydraulic system's working components.
There should be a somewhat distinct repeated click from the pressure regulator - with an interval of some 30 -80 seconds - even longer intervals.
Try time the clicking interval using your wrest watch. If this distinct repeated clicking interval is faster than some 20 seconds - or faster yet - then it's likely to be a flat accumulator sphere.
In bad cases - if the accumulator sphere has ruptured ("more than flat") - it can be hard to recognise any ticking - instead a constant vague rattling or hissing like sound may be emitted.
Replacing the accumulator sphere is a 5min's job - and the sphere is approx £25 at aftermarket dealers.
Would not surprise me if a "genuine" Citroen sphere is appox £50.
BTW : What exact yearmodel is your M reg XM ?
tudor
My Cars:

Post by tudor »

Hello Anders thank you for the info,my car was was recently serviced at a citroen main dealer.I have a deisel xm estate (1995)2.1turbo.
Anyway whilst it was at the dealers I asked them to check out the hissing,so according to the "technician" he checked my spheres
and replaced one at the front for £62.00 ouch !
BUT IT DID NOT CURE THE HISSING....?
It is almost a constant hiss,sounds like, Shhsss Shhsss Shhsss
and sometimes there is a secondry noise like a low pitch Aargh Aargh
Aargh.
Regards Tudor
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

My Xantia makes the very same noise, I think its probably down to a worn regulator. I have replaced the accumilator sphere too.
Be interested to know if you manage to solve the problem. Try holding the steering off centre and observe if the noise changes to more of a tick noise - mine certainly does.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well Tudor -
It DOES sounds like a flat accumulator sphere - likely on a '95 car.
The spheres have a limited service life - not just because of "normal" usage - but also because their inherent tiny gas diffusion over time.
I'd try go for an accumulator sphere replacement - it should not be a [B)] - but branded garages are'nt exactly cheap - we all know that.
On the other hand they offer the security of knowing the car & warranty on the work.
tudor
My Cars:

Post by tudor »

Thanks Anders and you Blueboy2001, I will try replacing the shpere 1st, will keep you posted . Regards Tudor