EGR Blank - Vacuum pipe on or off?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bradspau

EGR Blank - Vacuum pipe on or off?

Post by bradspau »

Hi. I have recently blanked off the EGR valve on the inlet side as it was faulty, on my C8 Hdi.

My question is what to do with the vacuum pipe from the egr?

1. Left in position you can still hear the vacuum and engine runs fine.
2. Removed, no vacuum sound and engine still runs fine.
3. Pipe removed from egr and plugged has the same effect as leaving it connected to the egr.

I can't tell a difference in performance or smoke, etc, whether the pipe is connected or disconnected or the pipe removed and plugged.

Any thoughts on the 'correct' thing to do with the pipe would be appreciated.
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Re: EGR Blank - Vacuum pipe on or off?

Post by lurchy666 »

personally plug it and cable tie it up somewhere so it cant flap about, any loss of vaccum how ever small could affect your brakes unless they hydrolic like a xantias or electric like old ford granadas, (personally i dont know the braking system on a c8)

my hdi xantia has the vaccum pipe supply just rerouted into the turbo solinoid (as they are right next to each other on the bulkhead) and the t piece and the pipework to the egr solinoid removed ive left every thing else connected just the supply vaccum is missing to the egr solinoid, for me i can tell the diffrence almost imediatly at night as you cant see as much smoke come out the rear in other ppls headlights
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: EGR Blank - Vacuum pipe on or off?

Post by spider »

I'd only suggest not leaving it 'open' so there's not a constant 'suck' on the pipework although its small.

Random tip: You may find the end injector leakoff pipe cap (on an IDI unit such as the XUD / TUD at least) an ideal vacuum pipe 'plug' :) they are about the right size if I remember correctly.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG