Citroen C5 Passenger window won't work!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bluesumo

Citroen C5 Passenger window won't work!

Post by bluesumo »

Hi

I came across this forum the other day and it looks a great source of info....this is my first post; here goes.

I have an '09 mark III Citroen C5. Last year the driver's window just dropped down into the door and had to have it repaired under warranty. Yesterday I noticed that the passenger window was having problems going down and back up....and of course it's now out of warranty!!.

I took a look on this site and with the excellent help of previous posts I have got the door panel off and seen that it has the common problem of the cables rusting through and one of them has dropped out. I've ordered a replacement from ebay and am awaiting delivery.

My question is this - what is the sequence for replacing the wires? Can it be done with the regulator, frame and window in place or do they have to come out - is there an easy way to do that? How do they fit on the drum?

Is it worth getting the emanual for this - do they show this step by step?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
hdi_man
My Cars:

Re: Citroen C5 Passenger window won't work!

Post by hdi_man »

I ended up taking mine to local garage with the new cables and they did it.

maybe someone else on here has done it themselves...
bluesumo

Post by bluesumo »

Hi

I found this excellent explanation:

http://www.drive2.ru/cars/citroen/c5/c5 ... 153099652/

For those of you who don’t speak Russian – a friend translated it for me as per below

1. Carefully start with the plastic surround on the door handle, start to gently pull it, from the top. Next, the top part is clipped with horizontal clips – unclip it. Lower part of the vertical ‘fixed stoppers’ are then inserted into the grooves ( from top to bottom), then lightly to the top, then the bottom edge (on the door handle) should come out. The rear edge is actually behind the door lining so will need to be slide out.
2. Carefully remove the front cover of the door pull handle, however, start at the underneath. The secret is that it has two latches/clips that unclip inside – to do this there are 2 small holes underneath in which you can insert a thin screwdriver to prise off.
3. Next remove the 2 screws holding the door pull handle – torx screws
4. Remove the lining of the door handle. I took it off with my hands – didn’t want to damage the delicate material with a screwdriver. There will be 2 latches/clips don’t be 2 aggressive.
5. Starting with the removal of the lining. Firstly, clip the top black part (using your fingers), by the side of the window and pulling it up and towards yourself whilst taking it off from the latch/clip. Then from the side on which the door is fixed to the car on the lining, with a strong tug, take if off. There may be one or two clips left on the door, from the lining, it can stay there as it will not break. Take it off and put it back on when you install all the parts back together. Using the same strong tugs take off all the lining.
6. Unfasten all the electrical cords (connections). Unfasten all of it – don’t rush and be careful
7. Black fixture in the centre – there will be a torx screw. Don’t unscrew it completely. Only to the point where it is loose, and can freely move. Don’t be scared - nothing broke off whilst you were unscrewing it, it’s the way it is. When you will screw it back in it will go back into it’s normal self.
8. Take off the speaker using a torx screwdriver. Unhook the cord
8. White insulator is glued to the door around the edge. It’s glued with a reusable glue. Start from the corner – lightly pull towards you, then start cutting the glue with a sharp craft knife, all around.
9. The speaker casing is attached with rivets – drill these out. Instead of these I put screws with self locking nuts in the holes
10. On the top of the door there are 2 grey plugs/ covers (1 is behind the door handle when you slide it out). These are glued. To not make holes in them, I followed the same principle as for the white insulator; I freed most of it to gain access to the window runner bars, that is clipped with self tapping screws.
11. Carefully lower the glass until the screws are reachable, screws which hold the glass to the runners. Unscrew the screws which hold the glass to the runners. Carefully, keeping it level and not twisted, raise the glass with your hands (I then held the glass in place with some duck tape or masking tape to stop it falling)
12. Unscrew the screws holding the runners and regulator in place – There are 6.
13. Next, free the construction from the clips on the door. Careful with the top part. If needed – lower the glass a little bit – the runners will come out easier.
14. Take it all out of the door
15. Usually, only the lower cable breaks(shortest one) It’s the only part you can replace, however, you can replace everything if you have a repair kit. It happened so that the roller on the right door wasn’t damaged. However, on the left – grooves were gone. I had to replace them with a repair kit. I don’t like it as the plastic looks unreliable. Once you have decided to change it yourself, and reached the insides, then with the right skill of winding the cable I’m sure you will make it.
The main thing is that only one spring (amongst many) will be compressed, in an extreme case. If 2 springs are compressed – you have over pulled. If both are relaxed – you haven’t fully wound the cable.
I oiled the runners with graphite oil. You can also use grease. To put it all back together, follow the instructions in reverse.

Thanks to the contributer of the article
Hope this helps – standard disclaimers apply! :wink:

Mike
fifth_cit
My Cars:

Post by fifth_cit »

Hi All,
The bottom cable on my window regulator has corroded. I got a new set of cables and followed this Russian explanation on how to get the door trim off.
My problem is I have spent all afternoon trying to get the new cables wound onto the drum. It is either so tight it wont go on or so slack the cables unwind. I have measured the new against the old and they seem ok (can't measure bottom one but the outer is the same size). Any ideas anyone ?

Keith
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
Previous Citroens:-
05 C5 Facelift VTR 2.0Hdi
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

When my window mechanisms go i dont even attempt to replace the cable i just buy an entire complete mechanism from wherever i can (ebay/scrappy). The cable has to have a good tension in it as it is only the frictional force between the cable and drum that allows the motor to drive the window. Im sure the cable alone can be replaced and if you cannot find a replacement mechanism whole then removing your existing mech from the door might make replacement easier, sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
brian1679
New User

Post by brian1679 »

Hi Gentlemen

I've had a problem just like many of you with this window regulator on the passenger front door, so I ordered a cable and have tried to fit it but have had no
success.

has anyone out there got the correct way to fit the cable i.e a diagram or photo's.

Many thanks
Brian

First time user to this forum.
Last edited by brian1679 on 24 Apr 2013, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
fifth_cit
My Cars:

Post by fifth_cit »

If you pm me with your email address I will send you some pics and some info on how I did both of mine.
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
cjmcc
New User

Post by cjmcc »

Fifth_cit,

Is there any chance you could email me with pics and info as well as Brian1679.

I will PM you my email address.

Much appreciated.

Cjmcc.
shortie
New User

Post by shortie »

Fifth_cit,

I would be really grateful if you would also email me some pics on how to change these cables. Spent the bones of 5 hours trying to get the cables wound on to the main drum. The cables are on the drum at the moment, however, both springs are compressed and I'm not sure whether to go any further.

I'll send a PM with email address.
Many thanks.
brian1679
New User

Post by brian1679 »

Thanks Fifth_cit got it going thanks for the help.
brianmea

Post by brianmea »

I am having this issue with a 2009 C5. Could someone send me the pics please.
Regards,
Brian.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

brianmea wrote:I am having this issue with a 2009 C5. Could someone send me the pics please.
Regards,
Brian.
Brian,
send 5thCit a pm with your email address in it. Don't put it on an open forum.
brianmea

Post by brianmea »

Have sent him a pm. Thanks
fifth_cit
My Cars:

Post by fifth_cit »

I don't own a citroen anymore so don't frequent this forum much.

Where are you up to with the repair?
Have you got new cables , I got both sets of mine from eBay, one from Germany and one from Kirby, Liverpool

If you have the cables, have you taken off the door trim, the Russian guys method works.

Wait to hear from you.

Keith
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
brianmea

Post by brianmea »

Thanks for the help keith.