blower unit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

blower unit

Post by froggy »

Hi, just replaced the blower unit on my series1 Xantia. I would like to repair the old one if possible. The fan is very tight, when trying to spin it. anybody repaired or have any ideas. Iam afraid I do not like throwing anything away. thanks Terry . :?:
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
davetherave
My Cars:

Re: blower unit

Post by davetherave »

Have a look at this link for removal of motor and transistor module

http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... tor#p10790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then Jims guide here shows transistor replacement

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... transistor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But if your fan is tight then replacing the transistors wont help, but worth a look whilst you are in there.
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

The fan being tight suggests to me more a mechanicl issue ie. seized bearing or jammed brushes (if this is possible), or a foreign object?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I've never taken one apart; that said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's a brushless fan (just like those you find in PCs). They usually have plain (sleeve) bearing that are "lubricated for life" - a life that's often all too short! It's often possible to revive them and give them a new lease of life simply by washing out the old dried grease and re-lubricating, but be warned that this isn't a permanent fix. Expose the end of the shaft in its bearing (there's often only one) and the upend the motor so the bearing is on top and give it a squirt of brake cleaner. If the design incorporates a 'proper' motor with a bearing at each end, you'll have to free-off both bearings before you can dis-assemble the motor to get at the bearing between motor and fan (you don't need to remove the bearings from shaft, you just need to be able to get at the bearings to wash them out). Once this has penetrated (more squirts may be needed) you should be able to get the fan to rotate (BE GENTLE!). Wash out the bearing(s) with more brake cleaner until the fan spins freely, let the brake cleaner inside dry out then lubricate the bearing(s) with ONE or TWO small drops of 3-in1 or sewing machine oil applied to the shaft with the end of a small screwdriver. Mop up any surplus oil as it only attracts dirt.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

These fans have brushes, which are available from ebay and fairly easy to replace.
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s