brokedown but clue to c5 problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

brokedown but clue to c5 problems

Post by boristhespie »

C5 2l 110bhp hdi lx 03

So broke down. Driving at 70 the lights for suspension came on again. This time car rose to highest suspension setting. Bouncy bouncy at 70. Oooooo!

Called ADAC who sent AA who sent Dundee garage. 2.5-3hrs later guy arrived. Disconnected battery to reset. Didn't work.

Then mucked about behind driverside headlight. Apparently the bunch of wires there had worn through the plastic covering and electrical tape and were short curcuiting with the water (major floods here today).

He seperated wires and voila.

Seems this could also affect the indicators too.

Hoping this is all it is but well done local garage guy. Lets hope this means no comms unit required.

Convoluted breakdown phonecalls mainly it appears with AA. Bloody AA van in layby down the road 2 mins on way back.
C'est pas possible!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: brokedown but clue to c5 problems

Post by Peter.N. »

Useful to know. The AA really went up in my estimation when I was bringing my first C5 home, the car just stopped just as I got on to the A30 at Exeter and the hard shoulder had run out so I was sticking out into the lane, I rang them and seven minutes later a recovery truck arrived and took it to the services. Turned out to be devoid of fuel :oops: although the gauge was showing some, a fault that was remedied when I disconnected the battery.

Peter
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

It was a mechanic from a Dundee garage that sorted things, the AA deferred to them. Hence the 3 hours wait. Seems they don't want to handle ADAC customers from UK. I do know they have issues.

Best thing is the wire. Hopefully this will be all that is needed to sort out all the electrical problems that were pointing to a new comms unit. I can't think how the latice of wires were moving significantly to wear away the plastic. They seemed pretty tight to me. But hopefully a clean up, seperation, maybe renewal will sort things, fingers crossed. Good on the Dundee mechanic as the local dealer would have definately said comms.
C'est pas possible!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well done the mechanic. You had a long wait for it to be sorted at roadside, but....... perhaps this it the quickest resolution of a C5 electrical problem? :) :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

People get it wrong all the time.

These faults are not with the BSI, not with the Comms unit, but the PSF1.

Platine Servitude Fusibles also recognised as the underbonnet fuse and relay box. It talks to and fro with the BSI, but is a more regular candidate for breaking down. Fortunately it's uncoded so you may swap like for like.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

I guess we'll see the wire I saw were worn and corroded together.the minute he teased the wires away from touching the light unit the suspension lights went off and suspension went down. He also said this could affect other electrics. The suspension lights did seem to go on when putting lights on or putting mainbeam on. This was the first time the suspension actually rose.

The indicators have been playing up. We'll see if this is remedied . If not then I guess you're right
C'est pas possible!
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Okay garage sorted wires. Apparently were bad. So suspensin working fine and shouldn't have those annoying lights and beeps.

However indicators still go off after putting on and need a nudge to come back on.
C'est pas possible!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

boristhespie wrote:However indicators still go off after putting on and need a nudge to come back on.
If by "nudge", you mean you have to give the indicators stalk a little nudge to prompt them to keep going, then suggests to me a problem elsewhere, such as the contacts in the indicator stalk switch becoming a bit iffy
Martin

boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Is exactly that. They go off and if I touch stalk they come back on so I guess I need to take them out and have alook?
C'est pas possible!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well, I guess so, but my knowledge is really confined to Xantia, and I know the C5 is a rather more complex animal, so you could really do with a nod/nudge from a C5 owner
Martin