99 sx xantia Fitting New Front Accumulator Sphere

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Justin1

99 sx xantia Fitting New Front Accumulator Sphere

Post by Justin1 »

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help so far. I just have one last query.
1: After fitting the new accumulator sphere what is the procedure after that. Do I just fill with LHM fluid and start the engine or does the system need to be bled?
2: Also does anyone know what the pressure is supposed to be in the accumulator sphere?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Make sure the seal is correctly located in the accumulator's seal recess before screwing the sphere up firmly by hand.

Then, with the pressure bleed screw still half a turn loose, start the motor and run for a bit. I consider thirty seconds plenty, others run it longer. Then, whilst running, nip up the pressure bleed screw to snug with a 12mm spanner.

Test pressure on the accumulator is 62 Bar, working pressure no more than 170 Bar.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Re: 99 sx xantia Fitting New Front Accumulator Sphere

Post by Sam KS »

No Citrobicks then? i assumed there'd be a strict routine of these as well.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would do the Citrobics once the system has settled down as there may be air in the acc sphere/regulator area. It does take time, but air in the system leads to a bumpy ride (which is not what you want in a car with the 'Magic Carpet' ride!), or maybe dodgy brakes. Mind you, I did replace all Gracies' spheres, so I had to complete the full job properly.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Justin1

Post by Justin1 »

great thanks very much.
Justin1

Post by Justin1 »

Also will I need to do anything about bleeding the brakes because the rear end is on the ground so the brakes have also lost all pressure. i assume this will come back with the new sphere, just not sure if i have to bleed them at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou very much for all the help and information i've allready received. everyone on this site has been great.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Looking back at your first post, I see that you had no brakes OR P.A.S. Your Xantia has separate pumping elements for the PAS so either there's not enough LHM or the pump isn't going round (enough). Check the LHM level and the auxiliary drive belt (& tension).

It will probably be necessary to bleed all the brakes.

If the front is then still stuck UP and the rear DOWN (or vice versa), your problem is seized height corrector mechanisms (lots of posts) and probably the 'dog-bone' links need replacing - if they have popped off it's pointless refitting them until the mechanisms are freed-up, and the original ones will pop off again anyway as the plastic cups will be worn/cracked/broken.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Old-Guy wrote: It will probably be necessary to bleed all the brakes.
I would as a matter of course after any hydraulic work...

A sign of needing bleeding is a delay on application before any braking actually happens - very disconcerting!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Justin1

Post by Justin1 »

ok thanks for the info. Does anyone know how to bleed the xantia brakes. Any info or directions would be greatly appreciated
Regards, Justin
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

I just read my BoL on this last night... But i think it's wrong. It says just run the motor and apply pressure to the brakes and open bleed valve. but i'm sure you have to apply load to the suspension at the same time.

there was also an order to do the wheels in.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yes, you do have to have some pressure on the suspension to get the rear brakes properly. However, it ain't that hard! Lift her up to full service height, jack up OSR, pop off the wheel, start the engine, either get somebody to press the brake pedal (or get something to hold the pedal down), bleed the brake, fit the wheel, and then do the same for the NSR. This means that the rear suspension is under pressure.

IIRC the order is OSR, NSR, OSF, NSF (but if I am wrong I am sure somebody will correct me). Basically it goes furthest from reservoir down to the nearest. There are better instructions on the forum, but I think I have got the basics down correctly.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Justin1

Post by Justin1 »

ok great thanks. Though I think I may have a problem with the height adjuster or maybe the linkage there. The new front accumulator sphere is in, it took 1.5 litres of LHM fluid and now says full. The brakes also sought of work now there is pressure its just not great, but i havn't bled them yet as the car will still not move at all. The rear end is still on the ground with the front in the air. Could this be the height adjuster or linkage at the rear?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. and thanks again for the bleeding info hellrazor will definatly come in handy.