citroen c5 2.2hdi auto gearbox noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

garyfitz123

citroen c5 2.2hdi auto gearbox noise

Post by garyfitz123 »

I have a 03 2.2hdi C5 automatic, fitted with the 4hp20 gearbox as fas as i am aware. The gearbox has developed a sort of roughness. When you accelerate it behaves normally....picks gears cleanly and smoothly, but if you lift your foot off the throttle and let the car coast you can hear a roughness, sort of a whine almost from the gearbox. Any ideas?
2003 Citroen C5 estate 2.2 HDi Automatic
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: citroen c5 2.2hdi auto gearbox noise

Post by SaabC5 »

Have you looked underneath for gearbox seal leaks? It could need a fluid top up, i don't subscribe to these "sealed for life" gearboxes.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What mileage has the gearbox done?

Do give it a fluid change and be sure to use ONLY Esso/Mobil LT71141 and absolutely nothing else.

Sadly though, any roughness and noise means the life of the gearbox is almost up. After about 150,000 miles they're on borrowed time and do have a finite life due to their filter slowly clogging and the lock-up clutch in the Torque Converter beginning to wear.

The good news is they are re-buildable on a DIY basis and if you stop driving before it properly throws in the towel you may escape with just a filter and a recon torque converter.

Leave it until it goes bang and it'll be an expensive job...

EDIT: A common place for a leak is on the banjo union on the pipe on the end cover of the gearbox. If the end cover is wet then the level will be low and may be the cause of your immediate problem...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
garyfitz123

Post by garyfitz123 »

CitroJim wrote:What mileage has the gearbox done?

Do give it a fluid change and be sure to use ONLY Esso/Mobil LT71141 and absolutely nothing else.

Sadly though, any roughness and noise means the life of the gearbox is almost up. After about 150,000 miles they're on borrowed time and do have a finite life due to their filter slowly clogging and the lock-up clutch in the Torque Converter beginning to wear.

The good news is they are re-buildable on a DIY basis and if you stop driving before it properly throws in the towel you may escape with just a filter and a recon torque converter.

Leave it until it goes bang and it'll be an expensive job...

EDIT: A common place for a leak is on the banjo union on the pipe on the end cover of the gearbox. If the end cover is wet then the level will be low and may be the cause of your immediate problem...
There is about 120,000 miles on the gearbox. Is there a way to check the level of fluid in the gearbox? A dipstick or anything?? I dont know this gearbox very well.
The DIY rebuild which you talk about? Can you go into a bit more detail about this? And rough estimation of price?
Thanks for your help!
2003 Citroen C5 estate 2.2 HDi Automatic
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gary, if you PM me your email address I'll send you the details on how to check and change the fluid. It's in a large PDF and not suitable for posting on here. I'll also send you some hints and tips. The documentation is Xantia-specific but should be applicable to yours.

For the rebuild, have a look at this website.

I've rebuilt three of them in varying stages of being bust and dissected a further two to see what makes them go bust :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...