2002 C5 HDI 2.2 rant ;) + warning / tip.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kraM
My Cars:

2002 C5 HDI 2.2 rant ;) + warning / tip.

Post by kraM »

Good morning

After a few beers last night, I felt a lot better than a short time before the beer fridge was raided...

I have a 2002 C5 HDI exclusive with a DPF in the exhaust. Ages ago when dash board connect 4 wasn't so much of an issue, I decided to re-fill the EDIS? tank. I brought the worlds most expensive brown fluid and carried out the messy task, then visited my friendly mechanic to reset the system. Which couldn't be done. Oh well, live and learn...
Recently my many visits to my friendly mechanic have put us on first name terms, including a nice discount for reseting the lights.
After a family holiday nearly ruined by the dash board doing its best efforts to look like a christmas tree, twice, I decided the wonderful piece of French engineering needed to be properly looked at. (why do people beep and flash at you when you are doing 30mph up a long hill in Cornwall, on a dual carriage way, do they think I do it on purpose, loving the limp home mode...)
One of the codes was for the glow plugs, a standard code appartently, it starts fine, the relay and wiring are perfect, so that was left alone.
The EGR valve or system was doing something un-expected, I striped and cleaned the whole system, checked the valve, cleaned that, all good, must have been flowing less than 50%, now spotless.
I turned my attention to the mini tank for the EDIS? tank, removed it and checked the connectors on the side, nothing, so after draining it, I tested how flamable the fluid is, which it isn't, then cut the end off the tank, with the theroy being if there was nothing wrong, then I could plastic weld it together. 8-[
There is a solid state sensor in there, I assume for the level reading, and a fuel pump. The knackered spade connectors should have given me a clue, after repairing the inner loom, and clearing away the brown sandy stuff (another clue), I noticed the back of the pump had gone free range, and there was a crack in the terminal end of the body. Undetered, I made a jump lead and fired up the pump, which wheezed into life, oozing thick brown gunk, out of the cracks and free range bit, not the outlet. Technically speaking, the pump is phuqed. :cry:

A quick call to Citroen reveals the tank complete is £185 ish, + VAT. :shock:

This would be fairly easy to test on the car (ensuring there is EDIS fluid in the tank)
Remove the heat shield,
Remove the two pipes from the side of the tank (the top is a breather, I think)
Find a bowl and pipe from the tank for possible spillage
Using the two thicker of the four connectors, give it a 12v blast
If brown liqued flows free, cool :-D , if not and the pump is sounding, then it is probably in the same state as mine... :(

I don't know what reading I should get from the sender, as it's full of brown sand, I have come to the conclusion it's also buggared. :(

I think I have a lift pump floating about somewhere from a reliable car, I may bung that in and see how I go, failing that, anyone know where I can get a good replacement tank (GSF don't do them)?

Last but not least, what the fudge were Citroen thinkning of when they designed this system, other manufactors use diesel to clean the DPF (an additional squirt at the end of the combustion cycle effectively pours neat diesel into the DPF, which then burns really hot, and hey presto, clean DPF). Puts me off Citroen for life. :evil:

Cheers

Mark
2002 Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive Estate,
1997 Honda Civic v-tec e, never missed a beat (it is a Honda)
1981 VW MK1 Golf GTi :)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i, now gone ;(
1998 Honda Transalp - in a bid to keep my licence...
KevMayer
My Cars:

Re: 2002 C5 HDI 2.2 rant ;) + warning / tip.

Post by KevMayer »

If your Eolys oil tank is finished then your C5 is an ideal candidate for DPF removal.

There are a few members on here who've got rid of their DPF or, there are a few places that can remove it for you, for a charge ofcourse. But, once it's gone, your C5 should run better than it ever has ( apparently ).

I'll get around to removing my DPF at some point.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
HaydnR
My Cars:

Post by HaydnR »

J have removed my dpf,I didnt notice much if any difference, fuel consumption is still rubbish so I think that there is a fault elsewhere. At least I dont have to worry about expensive fluid top ups.
'02 c5 2.2 hdi exclusive
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Interesting to hear your exploits ala Elloys tank, I too have pulled one apart, and use it to show customers, why it doesnt work :mrgreen:
The pump looks the same as a Picasso or Pug 307 fuel pump (pretty unreliable).
DPF removal is the way forward, any blockage of the exhaust is good, and even unclogged , it must take away 5 bhp. This has to translate into worse mpg.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Longyear
My Cars: (15) Citroen C1 1.0i 12v Feel
(05) Citroen C2 VTS

Post by Longyear »

I can't believe you're going through all that pain with the EOLYS tank, when you could have your DPF core removed, your ECU mapped for the adjustment and never again get a "Diesel Additive Minimum" or "Anti-Pollution Fault" or any other related message. You'd be able to throw the whole Eoly Tank in the bin; which is where they belong.

If the job is done properly, you won't get any error messages, better performance and economy, and yes, you'll have no issues at MOT time.

A friend of mine used http://www.energytuning.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and has had not a single problem with his C5 since.
David.
(15) Citroen C1 1.0i 12v Feel
(05) Citroen C2 VTS
kraM
My Cars:

Post by kraM »

Cheers for the replys, it is on ebay now, if it doesn't go, I'll be doing the re-map thing.

I managed to bodge a 16v golf gti lift pump in there now, managed to modifiy the housing and pick up. After a long conversation with a very clued up electronics bloke, decided the sensor is a hall type, as the fluid is magnetic!!! As I was testing the little sensor, I needed to hold it in a pair of plastic tweezers, so the multi-meters terminals didn't touch metal, then to finish off the day, the sensor, about half the size of a grain of rice, pinged off accross the shed... bollox.

I've put it back together after shorting the connector wires together, using a solidering iron to plastic weld it back together, had the codes reset, and bobs your dads brother, no more lights!!!

kraM
2002 Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive Estate,
1997 Honda Civic v-tec e, never missed a beat (it is a Honda)
1981 VW MK1 Golf GTi :)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i, now gone ;(
1998 Honda Transalp - in a bid to keep my licence...