Stiff throttle pedal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikolaymk

Stiff throttle pedal

Post by Nikolaymk »

Hi guys,
The throttle pedal of my '95 Xantia has become very stiff. Even on a motorway it's still causing me pain - in town it's worse.
Any ideas what this might be due?
NB: My car has covered a mere 51000 miles.
And off topic - when can I expect the clutch to go?
Thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try have a look where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle axle - it may have started to split/unwind - causing it to bind. Which means you should expect it to snap soon - leaving you w/o any throttle/power [8D]
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

My BX 16V throttle cable got heavy enough to break the plastic clip going through the pedal - a number of them one after the other at the main dealer afterwards as well!!
On a car that hasn't had much use, similar to mine, I'd have a look at the throttle spindle on the throttle body to see how much effort is needed to turn this by hand. Try to compare to another similar model if you get the chance.
I ended up fitting a different throttle cable clip (metal ball and cup arrangement) as an interim measure 18 months ago and still haven't got around to taking the throttle body apart - it's on this years winter list of jobs to do while the inlet manifold is out so I can get to the starter motor and the fuel injectors.....
Adrian
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The throttle cable on my Xantia 1.9 turboD became stiff. I checked under the bonnet and found the throttle cable sleeve which runs almost all the way around the engine bay, wasn't sitting right. It had been moved and had a couple of tight bends. I re routed it, after disconnecting it from the pump and running some wd40 down the end, and made sure the bends were nice and as big as possible. The throttle response was far better after this. It was amazing how something as simple as this made the car feel better.
Cheers, Kev
Roscoe
My Cars:

Post by Roscoe »

I had a similar problem on my BX TZD - checked the throttle lever on the injection pump (Bosch) and it was stiff, so gave it a good spray of WD40 and it's been great since. Also sprayed some into the cable sheath to be on the safe side.
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

Thanks Kev Mayer
I had my cable looked at at it was exactly as you described. The chaps sorted in in 5 seconds.
It's like driving a different car now.
Obviously a common fault.
Nick
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Glad to help.
This forum is great.