Does my rear height corrector look right (pics)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cc101

Does my rear height corrector look right (pics)

Post by cc101 »

Hi all, can you guys take a look at my HCR was taking it off and I'm sure some little plastic piece came off and fell on the floor (not the dogbone), I can't be sure it was from the HCR (was a small round broken black thing!) I changed the LHM and accumulator and when I sat in the boot with the engine running it sank down and didn't rise back up, I thought a strip down clean would be good?

Thanks, Chris
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Does my rear height corrector look right (pics)

Post by CitroJim »

It looks Ok to me Chris and as long as both parts pivot very freely without excessive side-slop then all will be good.

The only thing I can think is that the pivots are made of nylon but they're usually white and for them to fall out the wear would have to be severe. If there's no excessive side-play on the pivots than it'll be good.

The black bit may have been a broken piece of pipe clip. Originally the two pipes going into one side of the height corrector valve were separated by an oblong black spacer cum clip. It sounds like that was broken and you found a piece of it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
cc101

Post by cc101 »

Thanks for the quick reply Jim, I've taken another pic below, where my finger is pointing should there be anything on there as there is a little groove on the bit that fits between the two nodes that stick out (sorry to be a bit vague).

Thanks, Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, that's exactly as it should be Chris. The two 'nodes' (spring ends) fit each side of the extension on the hydraulic valve and the small round projections fits into the centre of the square hole in same. The round projection needs to be aligned to the centre of the hole when the height lever is normal and the car is riding at normal height. The grooves arise from this projection riding on the sides of the hole.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
cc101

Post by cc101 »

Thanks very much Jim, with your experience, how would you line the clamp on the ARB and the two bolts on the HCR valve (the ARB clamp has moved left a bit and I'm not sure where it should sit on the ARB now!

Thanks again, Chris.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh tricky Chris :twisted:

The only way to do it is to have the car up on a ramp so you can get under it in perfect safety and adjust the ARB clamp until the height is right.

The movement of the suspension from full low to full high translates into about 2mm of movement at the HC valve so the adjustment of the ARB clamp is incredibly sensitive.

You can get it near'ish by supporting the car very well on axle stands (and I mean very well and safely) and then jacking up each rear wheel to normal ride height. Then adjust the clamp so the HC valve travel is roughly in the middle of it's (very small) travel. This will be only very rough and then it's ramp time to do the fine adjustment.

However you do this you MUST ensure that when you are underneath there is ABSOLUTELY NO RISK WHATSOEVER that if the car collapses to full low during adjustment (which it may well) that you are in absolutely no danger at all. Hydraulic Citroens can KILL so take every possible precaution. Sorry for going on and on about this but they have killed.

This is why a ramp is necessary for this last adjustment.

I don't have a ramp and once or twice I've got it right by laboriously supporting the car very well, popping under, making a small adjustment, trying again and redoing it until it is right. It can take hours unless you're lucky.

Please take this very carefully. I make no apologies for banging on about safety and taking due care in doing this job. SAFETY FIRST ALWAYS.
Jim

cc101

Post by cc101 »

Thanks Jim, thanks for the safety tips aswell. I'll give it ago tomorrow, I believe there is a slight amount of adjustment for the height corrector valve when attached to the cradle by the two side by side bolts? Fingers crossed it'll all align properly!

Chris.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

cc101 wrote:I believe there is a slight amount of adjustment for the height corrector valve when attached to the cradle by the two side by side bolts?
Yes, there is Chris and these are perfect for final fine adjustment.

All the best with this and with luck you'll hit the right spot first time :wink:
Jim

cc101

Post by cc101 »

Cheers Jim, I'll let you know how I get on.

Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No worries Chris, just bear in mind the results of any adjustments made will not be seen for about 20s or so due to the natural hysteresis in the height corrector...
Jim

cc101

Post by cc101 »

Hi Jim, put it back together and adjusted, does this look about right to you or is sitting a little low at the back?

Cheers, Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Great stuff Chris :-D Well done =D>

To me it looks just a tiny shade high. My rule of thumb (finger?) is that at the rear you should just be able to get a finger between the top of the tyre and wheelarch.

However, better a tad high than low and if it feels nice and comfy then leave it be...

How many goes did it take to get to that then?
Jim

cc101

Post by cc101 »

Thanks Jim, bit of luck really, set it then had a look and only needed 1 other adjustment! Does the front look low to you as when on normal height I can push it down to the bump stops! Was going to strip the HCR valve, got 2 of the pipe unions undone but the 3rd started to round so thought I best leave it! Going to bleed the brakes now.

Cheers, Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Front HCs are a right pain Chris and if it seems OK then leave it... I once swapped one on my first Activa in the dead of winter when the temperature was -5 and I was lying on cold concrete. Not recommended :twisted:

A good test for front ride height is three fingers!

Nice and soft then if you can push it down to the bump stops. Excellent!
Jim

cc101

Post by cc101 »

Cheers Jim, did some citrobics, bled the brakes and went for a spin, this is how it looks now with engine running set at normal height, interestingly it now goes to intermediate high when set on that setting!! Think I'll leave the front one! With your knowledge, I changed the accumulator yesterday, should a new one tick a few times when it's heaving itself to the last bit of travel when set high?

Thanks again, Chris