knock noise from xantia front

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RT

knock noise from xantia front

Post by RT »

My 94 Xantia TD has developed a knocking noise localised to the front passenger side wheel area. The knocking noise frequency increases with road speed, however disappears on acceleration, and reappears when i back off. It also disappears under braking.
Do these symptoms ring any bells?
Thanks,
RT
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

What about when you go round a corner, does it get worse in one direction that the other.
Is it a constant knock when it appears or is it a bit hit and miss.
I would have said it was a goosed wheel bearing and it probably is, the doubt if any comes about when you say it dissapears under breaking, thats a bit odd beacuse braking ought to produce the noise too since the loadings on the bearings will be similar to those when you back off.
If you can feel any play in the wheel then that nails it, but play and noisey bearings don't necessarily coincide, especially in the early stages of bearing failure.
Dave
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

What milage has your car done? if its a high miler, it sounds to me to be your drop links worn on the passenger side, jack your car up and see if you have any play in your drop link. It's not a hard job to change the lnk, but do both sides not just one if you change them.
regards
Paul