Citrobics-the sickening hiss........

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Citrobics-the sickening hiss........

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

My old Xant has been standing around or a while, but recently I have been moulding it into some kind of MOT ready shape. Cracked the steering and wheel alignment, strut replacement, handbrake adjustment etc, and thought the only thing left now is to get the small bit of welding to the sill done and it was just about ready for the test.

Just put in another 5 litres of diesel from a can and fired it up. Whats next...yes a bit of citrobics just to give the old motor a bit of exercise. Selected the high setting, bit of a flash from the stop light, bit of sickening hissing, and clouds of spray emerging from under the car.

Of course shoved it back down onto the lowest setting in a vain attempt to avoid LHM at the rate of £6.99/litre pouring out of the "burst" whatever it was.

Its a job for another day but when a citroen is flat to the floor.... its really flat to the floor. Peering in the 2" gap between ground and car I think the burst appeared to be soaking the back of the subframe looking forward. (nearest to the front of the vehicle) I guess a suspension pipe has corroded and burst.

The other point about a 2" gap and a hole in the suspension pipework...... how do you raise the car ?

On my old Xantia, which I scrapped, I used a long metal pole and levered against whatever bit of solidness I could access to lever up the vehicle from the floor and put a trolley jack or scissor jack underneath.

I think with this car the towbar is going to come to my rescue, but there is always the danger of causing further damage.

.......sometimes its theraputic to share the misery :)

regards

Neil

PS just spotted this thread hydraulic pipe started by allanmc which has good info on rear pipe anatomy which will help when I get the car jacked up and investigate exactly where my burst is.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Citrobics-the sickening hiss........

Post by DickieG »

A low access jack such as the Arcan one sold by Costco's fits under a Xantia (or DS) which is flat on it's belly, this eBay link gives you some idea of what it's like, IIRC they are around £80ish ATM in Costco, I have one and find it very useful, heavy but stable and being twin piston it lifts the car very quickly highly recommended.

An alternative would be to drive one side onto some wide planks then slip the jack underneath etc.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thanks Richard

I do need a new trolley jack....something along the lines of what you suggest would do the job nicely.
The driving it onto some planks to raise it up is a good tip. Never really thought about that.

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

Better to happen now than at the MoT testing station, or on the open road miles from anywhere. I've used the towbar to raise the back of the car up in the past without the slightest concern - it is very strongly located in a strong part of the shell. Low entry, quick-lift jacks are great but there are always axle stands and blocks of wood when the alternative is a little less clever... having said that, I was given one of the lovely light aluminium low-entry jacks a few years ago which has a quick-lift mechanism - wouldn't be without it!
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."