My Xantia needs knowledgable help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: My Xantia needs knowledgable help!

Post by CitroJim »

isisalar wrote:Jim, on this very subject, P bushes, I'm sure I read a very old post of yours, where you said that there were location dots on genuine arms and bushes, is my memory playing tricks on me?
No, that is correct Paul :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Ah Well, Gracie has a failed O/S/R ABS sensor (or wiring to that point). Could be fun replacing it, but it will need to be done soon, as the weather is getting worse.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think I've got a rear ABS sensor in the garage.... When I had trouble with mine I found that the cable was partially rubbed through on the wheel rim - which explained why they light came on when it was raining! It was OK after I taped it up....
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=26012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A fun afternoon awaits! I thought that cable tying the cable to the top of the subframe in an invisible location was a particular stroke of genius :rofl2:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:I thought that cable tying the cable to the top of the subframe in an invisible location was a particular stroke of genius :rofl2:
Mazda clearly thought it was a wonderful stroke of genius because they did much the same in several places on the RX-8. A tie on top of the gearbox is one that sticks (painfully) in the mind...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, this time Gracie needs help from somebody with the right tools (and not the tool that owns her!).

I have tried to replace the O/S/R ABS sensor. I have used copious amounts of Plus Gas, but it hasn't helped. Of the three bolts that hold the large heat shield on, one has come out cleanly (the one at the back), the lower front has sheared, and the upper front has the head still attached, but twisting. I have got replacement bolts (from Homebase; Citroen only sell the bolts in packets of 50, Homebase sold me 16), so as long as I can get the old bolts out it isn't a problem. I could snap off the last bolt, and then drive around without that shield, but it is there for a reason.

I will do the heavy stuff, but I don't have the resources to get the remnants out.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if they shear off Jame just drill them out and re/fit with nuts and bolts, fairly sure there is room
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Drill them carefully and re-tapping the holes is preferable but there is room for nuts..
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Ah, but I don't either have, or have access to, a drill man enough to drill them out. I have not (until now) had need of one.

What I was hoping to do was to try drilling out the lower bolt from the heat shield side, so that, with luck (as it had turned a bit before the head sheared off) it would then start to spin itself out. What I then wanted to do was to then (on the bolt that wants to shear) was to get somebody to help by applying a drill from the outside while I tried to turn it from the heat shield side to see if that were to get it out. I am aware of bolt extractors that bite into the remains of the bolt to try and get it out that way.

I had tried to 'rock' the bolts out, to prevent any rust from binding the bolts into place, but this doesn't seem to have worked. The only bolt that has come out cleanly was the back bolt, fortunately, as this is the one you cannot get to both ends of without removing the disk (well, the bolt holding the sensor in place would have the same issue). With luck we could get the bolts out without ruining the threads on the trailing arms. I have treated the two damaged bolts to some more Plus Gas, and then coated them with copper slip grease to try and inhibit any further rust build up.

One thing is that both damaged bolts have turned a bit, so it might be possible to get them moving again.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

If they have moved a bit James that is a good sign and it means they've stuck because of rust right on their ends..

If you start drilling them out from the head of the bolt side it's likely they'll start screwing themselves out all on their own and thus leave you nice clean holes for the new bolts..

DON'T every try an eezy-out as if one snaps on you, as they are apt to do, you are in an even bigger world of pain...

The car can be used without the shields. My old original 'Rattiva' never had any...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have a small battery operated modellers drill that I can get onto the lower front bolt, but I am going to have to look at the access for the upper front bolt from the shield side. So long as I can get two bolts holding the shield back on I will be happy (although I would prefer three bolts holding it on).

The bolts I got from Homebase are 20mm long (the originals are 16mm), and they come with nuts. The only one that could cause concern (lengthwise) is the rear of the three, but there is plenty of clearance to the disk, so no problem there.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you are aware to heat the arm around the bolt, and not the bolt itself
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I don't have a blow torch either!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, I have now got a drill (and 16 bits), some extractors, and replacement bolts from Screwfix (M6, 16mm, Stainless steel, part number 69452), so with any luck I can get the ABS back on line.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent James..

Good luck is hereby given :)
Jim