My Xantia needs knowledgable help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

My Xantia needs knowledgable help!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello all,

Gracie has three problems that I need help with. I think that 2 of them will need a Lexia to narrow down the problems, while the third needs knowledge and resources I don't have.

1, The side airbag warning light is permanently when the ignition is on. It does not go out at any time. I have cleaned the connectors, and if I use any more contact cleaner the footwells will be awash with the stuff. This was an advisory on her MOT (and the tester warned me that there are hints that this may become a reason to fail in the future, in the same way that the main airbag warning is now).

2, I have resolved the problems with the rear door locks not activating on the central locking (damaged wires, soldered in some new lengths). However, when I use the fob Gracie toots her alarm hooter, telling me she thinks a door is open. If I manually lock the doors from either door keylock all the doors will lock (and, after a few seconds, deadlock). Using the front interior buttons will also lock all the doors, but the rear doors will only lock themselves on their buttons. She is a Forte, so I don't know if the rear doors are capable of activating the central locking. On the off chance the "Open Door" system is linked to the alarm system I opened each door on its own, and the light came on for each door, but not the boot or the bonnet (She does not show individual doors, just that a door is open). Barring the "Door Open" warning the central locking appears to work perfectly. I dare not set the alarm, as next door have children at school, and I am not an anti-social sod.

3, I am fairly sure she is riding too high at the front. I know that this is a fairly simple problem to resolve, but I do not have ramps, a pit, or access to either. While I do have reliable stands, from what I have read on the forum these probably won't help me. I am prepared to travel within a couple of hours range of Reading.

I have done a lot of work on Gracie to get her through her MOT (I only got her in July), and while there are things still to be done, these are the only things I think I need help with. I don't know the previous owner (I bought her from a dealer), but obviously TLC was not in their vocabulary. I am working to show her that some of us care.

Due to work commitments I can only travel some week-ends, and this Sunday I am off to see family. Alternative Sundays I am on standby, but I have a few hours free on the Saturday.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: My Xantia needs knowledgable help!

Post by citroenxm »

Rear doors do NOT activate the central locking on ANY Xantia, only the two front door buttons...

The "Chirp" when locking could be any one of the four doors, but I beleve you also get it for the boot and bonnet open too, even though theres no warning light on the dash for those two.

The side air bag is most likely the wires under the drivers seat, raise the seat up with the height lever, and under the seat are a number (Two I think) of connectors, disconnect and reconnect them a few times and give them a clean through and a wiggle, if that works temerally for a while you could then consider cutting the plugs off and soldering them together... It depends if you move your seat a lot or not between two drivers. My drivers seat never moves, as Im the only one who really drives mine and at 223k all my air bag lights still go out with the correct sequence...

Try that first anyway.. If the wires dont help it, unfortunally the side air bag is buried in the seat cousion and replacment is the only other option (I THINK), however, IVe just stripped a Xantia with Forte/LX trim, so I could save a seat IF it comes to it.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I have decent ramps and live in Twyford if you want to borrow them..
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The problem with the doors is that I don't know which one is not indicating closed. I don't have a Lexia, but based on what I have seen about them on the forum I think it is safe to say that one could probably indicate the door at fault.

I have tried the trick with the connectors for the airbag fault, but again I don't know which seat is at fault. CitroJim suggested a Lexia session might help.

CitroenXM, when you break the silver SX, if it is available I would be interested in the exterior door trim for the nearside rear. Gracie looks a bit scruffy without it.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

If you want some silver bits ive got other silver doors (Im sure) in the shed.. f you want a trim i can supply you one sooner rather then later..

It could be an air bag Ecu fault, which lives under the tray under the ash tray.. again, available..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello CitroenXM,

How much would you want for that trim, or is there anything I can help you with? I am prepared to travel, and I am not afraid of hard work, so maybe I could help with your fleet (and learn at the same time, never a bad thing). I do not yet know what the fault is with the airbag, so I don't yet know what I need to resolve it.

Rattiva_Mike, thank you for the offer. Do you know how to adjust the height, and if so, could you explain it to me? I am not afraid to learn, but as I do not (yet) know how to make the adjustment. I don't want to make any avoidable mistakes. One of my mottos is "There is no such things as stupid questions, only stupid mistakes"
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

our car would chirp when you locked it on the fob, went through it all and is the boot lock that causes it, over the years of use, the lock mecanism wears a bit and means it doesnt make enough of a contact on the 'switch' that indicates its closed,
fortunately the wife broke the fob by forcing the button too hard and pinging the microswitch off it, so now its door only, however, living doqwn here, i rarely lock it anyways!

there was a relatively recent thread on height adjusting, ive just done the rear of mine after the wife managed to break that too!! only takes a Tiny adjustment to change the height a lot i found! the longest part of it was the 'cycling' of the system, (low to highs)checkign the height, got it now, after spending about 3 hours making silly little adjustments!!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello all,

Thank you for the advice you have given me. However, at the risk of appearing to ignore it all, I need to clarify the problem.

Gracie is telling me that there are problems with the side airbags and that there is a door open. However, she cannot tell me what is wrong with the side airbag system or which of the doors (or bonnet/boot) is open. Until I know WHERE the problems are I cannot do anything meaningful to resolve them. This was why I said I think that a Lexia session could be useful.

Thank you all again, for advice offered so far, and any that is forthcoming.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

If you pop the trim off the boot and locate the lock mechanism, you'll see the black plastic switch that clips on from the top, same as on the bonnet catch, (right side I think,) if you hold it In and lock the car on the fob you can see if its either the bonnet or boot casuing the chirp! If it chirps whilst you've held either bonnet Or boot switch down then you know its not either of them, leaving the doors which use some form of black magic to tell the computer they are open! ;-) :-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Much appreciated Timmo, I'll try that this evening if I can. I hope that the problem is not 2 or more doors! Or (even worse) damaged wiring. I have had to repair 6 wires so far, 4 in nearside sleeve between door and pillar, 2 in the offside. Have you seen how little space there is between the hatch and the body? I would have to train somebodys' pet rat how to use a soldering iron and wire strippers!
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 01 Oct 2012, 15:11, edited 3 times in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Timmo wrote:.... the doors which use some form of black magic to tell the computer they are open! ;-) :-)
I've never worked out how the central locking senses that a door isn't properly shut - it's NOT the light switch in the A or B post; a door can be on the safety catch but the car will refuse to central lock.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello Old-Guy,

I think that the central locking uses the switch built into the latch/lock mechanism to determine the state. If the Paynes manual is right, each lock has its own switch either built in or clipped on.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Hello Old-Guy,

I think that the central locking uses the switch built into the latch/lock mechanism to determine the state. If the Paynes manual is right, each lock has its own switch either built in or clipped on.

spot on.. there's a micro type switch in each door lock that does the door open sensing.. the only way would be to swap the lock.. or it could be a broken wire for that particular thing between the door and pillar where it passes in the gromet ..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
markflip

Post by markflip »

When I bought my 2nd Xantia it 'parped' on locking - After about 6 months someone told me that it wasn't supposed to and I found it was the boot catch that was at fault, the micro switch had become dislodged and just needed popping back into place, hopefully yours will be that simple....
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello again all,

An update on progress for Gracie's 'Open Door' issue. I popped off the black rear trim to find..... NO MICRO SWITCH!! I do not mean that it is missing; there is no place for the switch, either physically for it to clip on, or electrically in the loom. I spent a good half hour checking both (and there ain't much to check!). I then looked in the Paynes manual, and (if it is to be believed!) neither the boot or the bonnet on post '98 Xantias are monitored. The boot has a 'push/pull' motor (and the fuel cap cover could also have the same fitted) which causes a sleeve on the release button to rotate. In the locked position there is a big gap between the button itself and the release linkage, but when it is in the open position the gap is filled, allowing the boot to be opened.

When I repaired the offside rear door wiring I found one wire had been repaired and covered with heat sleeving. I did not do anything to this wire, and the rear door is now responding to the central locking. Time permitting I will go back and repair it just to make sure.

What I am dreading is if the problem is in the front door wiring. It looks as though I might have to take the wings off to give me clear access to the looms at these points. If the Paynes manual are to be believed it appears that the front door locks have 3 switches per, one to monitor the barrel, another to monitor the button, and the last to monitor the lock.

As the nearside window does not activate from its' driver door switch (but does from its local switch), I think I know where to start. Next weekend looks like I am going to be busy, weather permitting. Otherwise I will have to wait until the New Year when I have time and good weather to get the job done.

Thanks for all the help and advise so far.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+