Hints and tips to make life easy.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chizzy
My Cars:

Hints and tips to make life easy.

Post by chizzy »

Every time I view this forum I find another really useful tip for working around problems and bodges (Anders/Dave Burns vibrating head bolts is the latest). Perhaps people could contribute their thoughts to a new thread which can act as an easily referenced resource, which would save trying to memorise all this stuff just to forget when you need it.
Of course it might already exist and I'm just being lazy![:I]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Well there is a section on this Forum called "Common problems and fixes". Some time ago myself and Alan S collected the best of the most common problems and placed them in this section. Problem was that people started posting queries as to why their car would not start etc etc in this section so I ended up moving/deleting the posts then locking that part of the Forum as it was a lot of hassle. I suggested that anyone with a common problem or fix should email me and I would place it in that part of the Forum. There has not really been a rush of emails.
Maybe one of the Moderators could pick the best of the bunch and put some more handy hints in there. If I find time I will try and add a bit more there myself soon.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<i><b>HINT!! HINT!!! HINT!!!</b></i> [:D][:D][}:)]
See what I can do in the next few days. [8]
Alan S [:o)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks Alan.[:D][:)]
I'll also take a quick look myself later today.
chizzy
My Cars:

Post by chizzy »

Thanks guys. I was thinking of all the crafty tools and cheats that people have fabricated/bodged or conjured for seemingly insoluble situations.
Heres one I read recently: to remove baked on flies etc.- soak kitchen towel in water and leave on offending area for c.10 mins - wipe off job done.
Jon

Post by Jon »

<font color="blue">OK,
Anyone with a handy hint or tip, however diverse, if its worked for you drop me an email jon.wood@andyspares.com and I will create a new section of the Forum for these handy hints or whatever. So, if you've used a lemonade bottle to top up your coolant, or 2p pieces to adjust your 2CV handbrake [;)] then get in touch!!
Come on then folks.
:-)))</font id="blue">
chizzy
My Cars:

Post by chizzy »

Someone must have a better way of removing baked on flies!
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

It's much easier to remove baked on flies if you remember to grease the tray properly before putting them in the oven, and remove them well before they are burnt.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I find coating flies in butter helps to stop them baking onto the oven tray[:I]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I've forwarded Jon a couple.
Here's one to be going on with though; how to stop the car ramps from pinging out from under the front of the car when you are driving up on them.
Grab a piece of old seat belt material & attach it to the ramps. The weight of the car then prevents the ramps from moving!
Cheers,
Alan S
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

I've forwarded Jon a couple.
Here's one to be going on with though; how to stop the car ramps from pinging out from under the front of the car when you are driving up on them.
Grab a piece of old seat belt material & attach it to the ramps. The weight of the car then prevents the ramps from moving!
Cheers,
Alan S
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Alan - they say the best ideas are the simplest. That is brilliant. Why didn't I ever think of it???? Many thanks.
JohnW
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Credit where it's due; I picked that one out of Bob Smith's brain a few years ago & always give him the credit for it. I reckon it's brilliant too.
Some of the others are mine that are OK as well.[^][^]
Alan S [:D]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

One I picked up living in Denmark... Icy windscreen? rub it with a sockful of salt
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Nice to see you back on the boards Tom
Ian
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Might be obvious to some but non to me, why does salt melt ice.
Anyroad up, knowing what salt does to the underside of a car you wont find me putting it on thr top side of one[:D]
I used to work for a bloke that lived in Sweden fo a lomg time, heres what he and many others did to prevent the windscreen wash freezing, stick about 1/2 pint of methylated spirits in with the screenwash during the winter months, increasing the strength if the weather got colder, I've also been doing that for about 20 years now.
Dave