C8 RT3 & LCD Bricked Unit??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aea_s
My Cars:

Re: C8 RT3 & LCD Bricked Unit??

Post by aea_s »

Jodyone,

Yep, that link is fab. Iso downloaded and burned, just got to try it now as I managed to get the RT3 to boot and communicate with the screen successfully this weekend! HOORAH!

Turns out it was all connected with the optical fibre link coming loose, despite my previous investigations! Weirdly, and I have no idea why, the time stays set now - it no longer resets every time I start the engine. That's a plus!

Have a look at the pics and you'll see that the plastic 'tang' that retains the fibre optic connector in the 40-way connector body (at the very rear of the RT3 Navidrive unit) had partially snapped off. I have no idea why other than it must have been hit/thumped or even gone brittle due to excessive hot weather temperature cycling - who knows. Anyway - it was the culprit. As it no longer provided any retention of the optic fibre connector, the connector had come loose, breaking the comms between the RT3 and the screen.

The correct procedure for removal is quite precise - annoyingly, I can't find the exact link to the original document I printed (lots of searching to find some instructions!) but for a C8 it goes like this..

1. Open the door nearest the battery compartment
2. Remove the floor battery cover panel but do not disconnect the battery at this stage (you can't remove the panel without opening the door; this is relevant to the following stages!)
3. Climb into the car and shut the door
4. Check that all doors and windows are shut
5. Remove the keys from the ignition and don't touch any of the other controls in the car
6. Wait three minutes for the Canbus to shut down - you'll hear a relay click after about two mins and the rear door entry switch backlights will switch off. Wait another minute just to be certain!
7. During this time you can be preparing the area above the RT3 unit - remove the rubber tray and the plastic shroud underneath (takes a bit of pulling!)
8. Remove the vent pipes beneath the tray - take the plastic plug trim rivet at the back (in-between the pipes) out first, then the pipes should lift out, exposing the wiring at the back of the RT3 unit.
9. Disconnect the battery at the quick-release battery +ve terminal and rest it on something insulating so that it can't touch the battery terminal.
10. Disconnect the 40 way connector at the back of the RT3 being careful not to knock the snaking fire-optic cable that leads to the multifunction display unit. There is a lift-up catch at the bottom of the connector to release it.
11. Insert the radio release tools and lever them outwards to release the RT3 unit from the dash
12. Disconnect radio, telephone and gps aerial connectors
...Finally, the RT3 should now slide out of the dash.

Replacement is the reverse of the removal, to quote good ole'Haynes manuals...well nearly...You just have to ensure that when inserting the unit, the Canbus has shut down and you've disconnected the battery in the same manner. Don't power it up until you've checked the 40 way connector and optic fibre cable are in place, fully home. Same goes for aerials.

I''ll upload the pics tomorrow. Run out of time tonight!

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to all members who have helped point me in the right direction and offered their assistance.

Dead-chuffed Drew!
Last edited by aea_s on 07 May 2014, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2008 Electric Vectrix (2 wheels!)
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1964 SIIA SWB 2.25D Landy - cherished but used
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
1998 Xsara 1.9 TD Exclusive 260k miles
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

Nice one Drew, good to hear you're sorted!
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
C8misery

Post by C8misery »

wish mine had been that easy!!
aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

Here are the pics...
Get in car, wait for canbus to shut down (3 mins) then remove battery terminal
Attachments
Loose fibre cable is what I was presented with when the vent pipes were removed
Loose fibre cable is what I was presented with when the vent pipes were removed
Last edited by aea_s on 07 May 2014, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

Oh dear, seems to be saying this when I try to upload photographs...

'Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.'

What does that mean?
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Try uploading your images somewhere else (tinypic.com for example), and then just link the images in your posts with the [IMG] tags ... that way you can put as many photos as you like in each post ...
C8misery

Post by C8misery »

Yep exactly the same problem as mine..........nver been the same since.....agggggghhhhhhhhh!!!