C8 RT3 & LCD Bricked Unit??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Re: C8 RT3 & LCD Bricked Unit??

Post by Trainman »

Good for you, chuffed to bits.....
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
C8misery

Post by C8misery »

Trainman....chuff chuff

that reminded me of this little song from school......

a peanut sat on a railway line his heart was all a flutter...along came a train the 8.15 ...chuff chuff peanut butter! (WTF am I on a booot....)

Thanks again for your help previously...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well done fixing the screen.

Not heard the peanut song before. Must have been after my time :-D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

Oh dear, It would seem I have the same problem with my C8's Navidrive system. It won't go past the initialization screen at the moment - it only displays the Citroen logo and says 'STARTING' in the bottom RHS of the screen. It clonks and whirrs a bit and tries to read the CD but then reboots after a variable amount of time, only to go through the whole episode again.

It all started after I had to change the (car) battery for a new one (last winter and the multiple trips to school clearly took their toll!). After I fitted the new battery, the Navidrive system (I gather it's an RT3 as it has the Navidrive CD in the head-unit and separate 6 CD changer) wouldn't keep time correctly. Every time you started the engine, when the display started, it showed the time field was reset and would sit there flashing (just the time field). If I set it whilst the engine was running, it would then keep time for as long as you kept the ignition on. As soon as you turned it off, it would forget the time and you'd be back to square one. All other functions seemed to work ok.

Me being me, I decided the best practice was to remove the RT3 unit and have a look at it. It seemed a little dusty so I blew it off (gently) with an airline. I gather removing it without thought might not have been a terribly good idea as when I put it back I'm now left with just the Citroen logo on the screen. It looks like the screen and the RT3 unit aren't talking to each other? Dunno, just a hunch.

I've tried a few things, not least pressing the dark button for 12s - that did reset the RT3 but it still didn't get any further.

I've also tried leaving the ignition on, turning the RT3 on and letting it do it's thing for 15 minutes, no difference afterwards. I can't guarantee the car didn't go into energy saving sleep mode when I tried this though, as when I came back to it about 20 minutes later, the screen was off and it had clearly finished re-booting and shut itself down. I tried turning it on again - still same Citroen logo and faffing about.

The radio, cd and voice commands still work, just nothing displays on the screen. That's what's making me thing it's something to do with the screen comms.

Any ideas much much appreciated, it's lovely to drive the C8 but not so good without the Navidrive working like it should.

Thanks in advance one and all,

Andrew
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2008 Electric Vectrix (2 wheels!)
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1964 SIIA SWB 2.25D Landy - cherished but used
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
1998 Xsara 1.9 TD Exclusive 260k miles
C8misery

Post by C8misery »

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately what I thought was a 'fix' didn't last too long..My screen now is like yours in permanent boot mode ...loading etc...SOMETIMES the display comes back on and I get full view back for a second or two but not very often.

I went through loose connections...etc etc...took evrything out but it is beyond me. I may try uninstalling it with Lexia again see if it works like before....just haven't bothered and left it for about a year now!!

I think it is definitely something to do with comms between it and the RT3 unit or the ECU ????!!?!?!?!?!?!

I agree the C8 is great but without the screen it is an annoyance. Your lucky my radio doesn't work correctly it keeps coming on and going off all by it's pretty little self!

Sorry can't be of more use...if you find a permanent fix please let me know!!
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Andrew, I think I might have a copy of the software on disc for the RT3 from when I had mine, Let me have a look at home and I'll let you know. If I have you're welcome to it........ will be in touch.
Steve

aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

Thanks for the prompt replies chaps, much appreciated!

Trainman, I have to say that the offer of your software CD (or the info on it!) is a very kind one, thank you. Certainly worth a shot if you happen to find the CD in spare moment!

C8Misery, oh dear! I certainly will let you know if I find a fix. Interestingly I found the chap/s at http://www.autotronics.eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as well. Karim Dehmous is his name and he's offered to send me a list of instructions for £30 that he says might fix it... and yet Googling the problem doesn't throw up much light. I might have to go down that route. He's also selling the complete systems and various 'fix-it' packages on ebay under the m3.mpower seller name (possibly as mentioned earlier on in this thread, can't remember now!) As it would seem he knows what he's talking about with this kit, it might be one of the better options.

Despite being a moderately capable engineer, this one has really caught me out!

Best wishes! I'll keep you posted too. Thanks again. Andrew
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
C8misery

Post by C8misery »

Hi Andrew,

I am familiar with Karim and have had email correspondance with him. The £30 fix is this:-

Disconnect battery. Remove tray on top of dash above the RT3 unit, then pull out the plastic air vent, you should then be able to see the back of the RT3 unit, to the left as you look down there is a fibre optic cable which connects to the screen, this sometimes works loose, push it back in. THAT IS THE £30 FIX!. Remember to connect battery back with correct sequence for the BSI to boot correctly (search on here for detail)

The other option is to send your screen to him directly to fix I think he quoted me £70...ok...but he lives in spain!
I reluctantly declined.

I didn't pay for the fix I had actually already done as suggested and my cable was not loose, there is a design flaw, the cable really needs to be 50mm longer to reduce the stress on it, the connection is also not really well anchored and easily comes out.

Apparently you should not unplug or plug in the fibre optic cable if the system is powered up and there is red light coming from the cable end ie...disconnect battery.

I think mine was caused when my son bashed the dash quite hard while the ignition was on and may have dislodged the cable??? but then that doesn't explain why it was apparently still correctly plugged in when I looked, although the plug does move in and out quite easily.

As said previously mine does come on now and again just to tease me, I have racked my brains to try and remember when it does come on if I have done anything in a particular way etc.....no it's quite random.....which I hate!!!!!

I have had the RT3 unit out....top off and found nothing...no burnt traces....no dislodged connectors nothing!!
Ditto with the screen, removed and took back off visually checked everything (electronics not really my bag) so wouldn't have a clue how to properly 'test' things.

Good luck if you decide to send yours to him, I have no reason to doubt his integrity, I just wasn't happy sending overseas.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Drew,

I've had a look for that disc I thought I had....... I haven't it's an old map disc. Having said that you could probably find the disc you want from here: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/car-nav ... t-citroen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve

aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

Thanks for looking - again, much appreciated!

I haven't been granted planning permission yet to do a more thorough investigation as four smalls, five and under + Easter + work mean that it's had to take a back seat for the moment... somewhat annoying, especially as the radio now randomly turns itself on when the unit restarts...

If I do fix it, then I'll certainly put my findings down here.

Thanks again to all for help so far.

Drew
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Is it just me or does the GPSunderground site no longer work?

FYI if you need the firmware update CD let me know as i have the ISO for it and have done a successful upgrade on my own unit, but can not for the life of me find a copy of the latest UK maps. Every other EU country is available but the UK ones are just impossible without paying thru the nose to Citroen or eBay sellers...
aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

Hi KP,

Gosh, have to say - hugely appreciate the offer of the ISO, that could come in handy! GPS underground seems up and running - what browser are you using? I must admit that I had a look for the latest UK maps too, and like you, found that all of the EU maps seemed to be there. MIght have found something else though but slow to download - may take a couple of days. Will let you know how I get on.

Ta!
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

I have a 2014 UK & Ireland RT3 disc in my car at the moment- I have the ISO at home, I can upload it somewhere at the weekend if anybody wants it?
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
aea_s
My Cars:

Post by aea_s »

Jodyone,

Thank you! That's an offer I can't refuse! If you get a chance this weekend, that would be fab! No idea where's best to dump the file though, any suggestions? Appreciate your help

Drew
Andrew/Drew
2013 Nissan Leaf
2006 C8 Exclusive
1994 BMW F650
1953 Ferguson TE207
Making tin cans;
2003 Renault RX4
1999 Xsara 1.9 D LX
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

aea_s wrote:Jodyone,

Thank you! That's an offer I can't refuse! If you get a chance this weekend, that would be fab! No idea where's best to dump the file though, any suggestions? Appreciate your help

Drew
Hey Drew- no problem, I've got a Dropbox account with a few GB free, I'll put it in there and PM you a public link.

That said, you may be able to download the same file direct: I'm pretty sure this is the one I got, from Ulozto.net (some russian filesharing site - beware of fruity images - I run multiple adblockers but it looks like the kind of site that may be trying to get your attention in various imaginative ways...!)

http://www.ulozto.net/x4bt2751/rt3-velk ... 3-2014-iso" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi