BX - instrument karfuffle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Junkman
My Cars:

BX - instrument karfuffle

Post by Junkman »

Hello all,

On my BX ('92 TXD break) the rev counter, the odometer and the trip counter stopped working, i.e. they aren't moving at all.
The trip counter can't even be zeroed by pressing the button.

Please don't ask whether this happened simultaneously, I don't know. I just noticed it on my way to work this morning.
A few well placed taps on the instrument cluster did not rectify the issue.

However, the speedometer, oil level guage, tank level guage and all control lamps seem to work, also most of the illumination. The illumination is on regardless whether the light is switched on or not, is that normal?

My Haynes has not yet arrived, so I don't even know where the fusebox is. I am not familiar with Diesels at all, hence I don't even know how the revs are counted, or where the signal could come from.
I have no idea how the odometer and trip counter work on a BX, i.e. electronically, or mechanical, and whether the non-op rev counter and the non-op odo could be related or not.

I'd appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Christian
1994 Peugeot 405 GTX 2.0 auto estate
1992 Citroen BX 19 TXD estate
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: BX - instrument karfuffle

Post by RichardW »

LIghts on all the time is correct - there is a dimmer under the steering column cowl for them.

Speedo is cable operated - if the speed it still indicating, the cable is OK. IIRC the trip counters on these used to give up - looks like this has escalted to the odo on yours as well - might be that part of the trip has broken off and is jamming the odo.

Rev counter is driven off a pick up on the back of the bell housing. There might be a brown plug over the top of the gearbox somewhere, but the sensor is probably away.

Getting the instrument binnacle off a BX is a knuckle scraping experience - although yours will have wing nuts rather than the earlier hexs which were the work of the Devil :twisted:
Richard W
Junkman
My Cars:

Post by Junkman »

Thanks!

Knowing that the two issues aren't related is actually quite reassuring - there seems to be some logic in Citroens after all.

So I take the entire binnacle off?
1994 Peugeot 405 GTX 2.0 auto estate
1992 Citroen BX 19 TXD estate
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the fuse box is up behind the glove box, when you turn the turn buckle a quarter of a turn the fuse box drops down to access the fuses,

if you very luck you will have a shroud around and over the relays and this will have what all the fuses are on the front,

there is 14 fuse slots depending on year and model to how many are used
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

dash clock tray out for left side wing nut and electric mirror, front fog light switch panel (right knee area) for the right side, be warbed though, if they are tight you'll need a hand the size of a 5 year old with the strength of a bodybuilder top undo the little b*ggers!! just be careful though as the speeedo cables a little tight on the back, make sure its on when you put them back ;-)
had mine out a few times for the abs light bulb & mot! - did sort it after a while!!

the speedo cable irc is 2 or 3 parts, a real pita to do according to one of the local citroen guys, he used to get his wife to do it as she had thinner arms!!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor