It's green, under the car & NOT grass!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

It's green, under the car & NOT grass!!

Post by alan s »

I've got one of "those leaks" that has nuisance value but not dangerous or urgent; I hope!![:p]
There is a tiny drip coming from the steering pinion seal on the BX. I bought a new kit from Andys a while back which I understand is a nightmare to make fit due to having to stretch hard rings & seals on to shafts & then having to shrink them to get them to fit in, but with this thing, how involved is it & what are the traps? I've heard it said that unless you're mega carefull, it's possible to bust the self cancelling mechanism in the trafficators. It will drop about a thumb nail cover of LHM overnight if just parked & left to settle itself, but if I remember & collapse the suspension, next day there's nothing on the concrete so obviously it's in the return that's weeping out of the seal.
As I have to have the car effectively "on call" for the next couple of months, I don't want to find myself grounded nor do I want to start an hours job that ends up taking weeks whilst I wait for bits. From what I can see, it's just a common old oil seal that is dug out & fitted but the pinion assembly needs to come out to do it.
Anybody ever done one......successfully?[:D][:D]
Alan S
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi AlanS [;)]
On the BX PAS pinion control valve - there are 2 simple O-rings internally - and 2 lipped oilseals.
The one lipped oilseal is just under the dust cover on the splined stubaxle. Both this oilseal and the nearest O-ring seal must be leaking to your description.
The other lipped oilseal is located in the bottom of the valve - and seals against the steering rack cavity. If this oilseal breaks up - you have the very odd LHM flow out of the rack end gaiters.
Either the problem - it's a pinion valve out job - or overhauling a spare & then swap the units.
BTW the pinion gear has a ballbearing each end on axle - these in turn are located behind the lipped oilseals - and they are different size.
I have stored on my HD a .bmp picture showing the internals of both the FD & the Pinion valve - where it's possible to see locations of seals & bits. Can mail it over if you're interested - can't remember from where I got the pic.
Looking over my favorites to search for various downloads at the mo.
FOUND IT ! - on the Zcech CCC homepage :
http://citroeny.cz/servis/bxser/rizeni_2.gif
On the 2 PAS equipped BX'es of mine - the middle O-ring of the 3 "e" on pic below was not fitted on either pinion valve - may be missing on yours too. Then do NOT fit an O-ring here.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Thanks Anders.
Just to clarify something though, isn't it the case that the "O" rings fit in some grooves & not in others depending on whether it's a RHD or LHD? In other words, the fact that there is one missing in the 3rd groove in yours, may be because on mine it may be missing on say the 2nd due to you being LHD whilst I'm right.
I kind of remember this being mentioned a long time ago I thought.
Alan S
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Can't remember this bit - may well be so. You'll see at the mo you disassemble yours.
No doubt though that it had never been fitted - no polished mark from it's location on the valve's inner wall - as found at the other 2 O-rings.
BTW : made a mistake above : there is only a ballbearing against the rack - the pinion is selfsupported at steering axle end by the seals.
Once the valve is out - gently tap/press down the stub axe - then the complete axle comes out with O-rings & bits - leaving an empty housing.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I don't beleive it!!
I did this bloody job about 2years ago, I replaced the seal, but didn't see the 'O'rings mentioned. Now the mongrel thing is leaking again Image
Guess who's going to do the job a 2nd time Image
Alan it's a pretty simple job (but a swine as you have to lay on your back under the car on axle stands, with LHM dripping on you, unless you own a hoist ...).
seeya,
Shane L.