Xantia Coolant Leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sam KS
My Cars:

Xantia Coolant Leak

Post by Sam KS »

another issue with the Xantia, i have a slight leak from the heater hose to the heater core.

is this the start of the dreaded heater core failure i have been warned about or is it something easer?

oh, and i did get a road worthy certificate in the end, just went to another garage, this one didn't knock me back on any of the made up things [-o< but got me for some legitimate under size rotors #-o . don't mind getting knocked back for something real, just bugs me getting knocked back for made up things.

EDIT:
I forgot to add it's an S2
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Coolant Leak

Post by Xaccers »

Is it actually leaking from the heater matrix socket that those pipes plug into, or is it a hair line crack where the elbow on the right hand pipe starts?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That's how they break here, Xac. It's the heat, mostly.

Last edited by addo on 25 Sep 2012, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Looks like it will be time to source a good set of pipes from a scrap car and splice them in as a replacement.

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That's almost a certain folly; they're all crook, and not exactly common either.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

ok, this weekend i'll be bypassing the heater core. don't even know if i'll bother replacing it as i can always put on a jumper or long trousers if it ever gets cold enough here.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Damn you Ozzies and your tropical climate :D

DIY sphere tool
Junkman
My Cars:

Post by Junkman »

Xac wrote:Damn you Ozzies and your tropical climate :D
+1

You couldn't drive a car without heater in Summer over here, what with all the steamed up windows.
1994 Peugeot 405 GTX 2.0 auto estate
1992 Citroen BX 19 TXD estate
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

put on a jumper
That’s what I did, possibly even a dozen times. :mrgreen:
I used a 19 mm plastic irrigation elbow for the bypass, and it lasted for years.

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

Clogzz wrote:
put on a jumper
That’s what I did, possibly even a dozen times. :mrgreen:
I've got 2 of them now :P . just started a new job and they gave me a jumper as part of the uniform, and I've got one from my old works uniform. :lol:
Clogzz wrote:
I used a 19 mm plastic irrigation elbow for the bypass, and it lasted for years.

I was wondering what size the hose ID was. Thanks.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

Junkman wrote:
+1

You couldn't drive a car without heater in Summer over here, what with all the steamed up windows.
We're the same about A/C here. it was the first thing i checked when i looked at the car. Also if i do fix it (i like to have every thing working on my car) i have 9 months before winter any how. :bd:
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Sam KS wrote:
Junkman wrote:
+1

We're the same about A/C here. it was the first thing i checked when i looked at the car. Also if i do fix it (i like to have every thing working on my car) i have 9 months before winter any how. :bd:
We have only two seasons here in the UK. Winter and June.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva_Mike wrote: We have only two seasons here in the UK. Winter and June.
Many a true word spoken in jest :lol: :lol:
-1 Try living in it for any length of time :twisted: It's not all it's cracked up to be, trust me. When we were living in Darwin we looked for somewhere cold (relatively) and temperate for a holiday; we went to Tasmania (lovely place :-D ) for two weeks of sheer cool bliss...

In Darwin, and I expect where you are Sam, people start to go mad as the heat and humidity builds toward the rainy season. It gets so unbearable that some people actually flip with a condition known locally as 'Going Tropo'.. It's not funny. It's not the heat that's the killer so much as the humidity that goes with it.

We needed a car heater in Darwin once when the temperature, in the middle of the dry season, dropped to 17 degrees early one morning. Gosh it was bloody freezing!!! Not for long though, even on that day it soon warmed up.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

CitroJim wrote:
Rattiva_Mike wrote: We have only two seasons here in the UK. Winter and June.
Many a true word spoken in jest :lol: :lol:
When i used to live in the UK i used to ask you pomgilians what day summer was going to be that year. :lol:
CitroJim wrote:
-1 Try living in it for any length of time :twisted: It's not all it's cracked up to be, trust me. When we were living in Darwin we looked for somewhere cold (relatively) and temperate for a holiday; we went to Tasmania (lovely place :-D ) for two weeks of sheer cool bliss...

In Darwin, and I expect where you are Sam, people start to go mad as the heat and humidity builds toward the rainy season. It gets so unbearable that some people actually flip with a condition known locally as 'Going Tropo'.. It's not funny. It's not the heat that's the killer so much as the humidity that goes with it.

We needed a car heater in Darwin once when the temperature, in the middle of the dry season, dropped to 17 degrees early one morning. Gosh it was bloody freezing!!! Not for long though, even on that day it soon warmed up.
we do got as cold as 6c here (once, on a record cold night) but normally in winter it'll be 12c-17c around 6am when my wife will be taking the car down the road to work... but she could take my company car on the cold mornings as she only works when i'm not so i can look after the apprentice.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

Well bodged up a bypass today.

I did a shed clear out a few months back and chucked out some 19mm (3/4")tube as i only had about 600mm left, so being as i'm to tight to buy another length ($20) as i wont need any more around the house, every thing else is 1/2". i spotted some pool hose in the hardware store the right size ($1.50) and 2 x 19mm right angle (2 x $1.50) and i already have loads of hose clamps. so lashed this together to do me till i get the parts to fix it properly.

the pipes broke at the top of the hose so i chopped them from just bellow the fitting. the fitting pretty much broke in 1/2 once i touched it.

before filling the system

and now filled but only with water

now i need to flush it and fill with antifreeze tomorrow.