citroen c5 sport button

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dudarus1

citroen c5 sport button

Post by dudarus1 »

hi im thinking about buying another c5 but want one with a sport button. just wondering if anyone knows what models come with this button as it seems to be abit random, going to be getting a car from 2001 to 2004 year range

thanks in advance
jake
Mobile Towbar Fitting Service In The Midlands
http://www.jninstallations.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheapest Prices Guaranteed
waynedance

Re: citroen c5 sport button

Post by waynedance »

Not sure what models do but it is a great option. Works great at speed when there are high cross winds.

I would guess Exclusive models and I think the VTR models did.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

I think you need to check potential cars. I've seen a mk1 exclusive without. My sx 2.2 and my exclusive 2.2 have it.
My 1.6 vtr did not.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
hmvt

Post by hmvt »

Sport button is from the cars with hydractive 3+ suspension.

In Portugal the only ones with that option where the ones with 2.2 engine.

All the others, even the exclusive version (very sadly, mine included) where equiped with hydractive 3.
Good luck and good buy...
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Sport button only firms up the suspension anyway. It does corner better but the luxury ride quality is gone when its pressed, its something i rarely use tbh. Hydractive 3+ has more spheres to replace than the standard set-up as well so its no real loss.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

I think the 3+ floats more than the 3 and others who have gone in the cars have said the same.
Do you think 3+ is made softer because it has the extra spheres to switch in and out for sporty driving?
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
dudarus1

Post by dudarus1 »

SaabC5 wrote:Sport button only firms up the suspension anyway. It does corner better but the luxury ride quality is gone when its pressed, its something i rarely use tbh. Hydractive 3+ has more spheres to replace than the standard set-up as well so its no real loss.
hmvt

Post by hmvt »

Softer???
I believe thats exactly the oposite...
The suspension runs harder so the car remains more stable...
Yes, It has more spheres, and the pression in wich one is different, but I guess I wouldn't mind having the car a little harder but much more stable...
In a Spanish forum there is a user that replaced the spheres on a Hydractive 3 for the ones from Hydractive 3+. After that he said that the car became harder (and not so confortable), but much more stable on turning (especially in motorway...)
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Not softer in normal and harder in sport? I remember the steering was different in sport. Not had a chance to play in my new one
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Where have we got softer in sport from? :? Its harder to give better handling, nothing else changes in the MKI C5 as far as i can detect, steering the same, throttle response the same. In my 9-5 the sport button sharpened the throttle pedal response meaning a shorter pedal push for immediate oooomph.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

I meant softer in normal mode, than the ones without the sport button. It's probably subjective. But the first thing a friend said shortly after getting in my vtr was that the old one was more wallowy and floated more.
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
dudarus1

Post by dudarus1 »

SaabC5 wrote:Sport button only firms up the suspension anyway. It does corner better but the luxury ride quality is gone when its pressed, its something i rarely use tbh. Hydractive 3+ has more spheres to replace than the standard set-up as well so its no real loss.

this didnt work on my phone earlier but i meant to say the c5 i have at the moment definatly needs its suspension firming up from time to time. if you throw it into a bent it just leans
Longyear
My Cars: (15) Citroen C1 1.0i 12v Feel
(05) Citroen C2 VTS

Post by Longyear »

I drive permanently in 'Sport' suspension mode..... makes a HUGE difference to steering, cornering and seems to considerably reduce body roll on 'fast' (A-Road) roundabouts.

A great feature.

(unlike the 'Sport' mode on the automatic transmission which is as much use as toffee, holding gears to 4,000 when there's no power left on tap!).

PS... I have a 52 reg 2.2HDi SX. (Auto)
Last edited by Longyear on 26 Sep 2012, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
David.
(15) Citroen C1 1.0i 12v Feel
(05) Citroen C2 VTS
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

So to clear things up a bit then!

Sport mode is not spec dependant, it is engine dependant. If you have a 2.2HDi (either 136 or 173), a 2.0 16v petrol, 2.0 HPi petrol (Avoid!) or a 3.0 V6, then you will have the sport mode.

1.6 110, 2.0 90 & 110 and 2.0 136 engines do not have the sports mode, in any spec level.

Sport mode firms up the damping. It is the same as hydractive 2 in a Xantia/XM. The car will change between sport and normal dependant on driving conditions and driver input. Press the sport mode and it will cut into sports mode faster than it would in normal but it is not in sports full time - like a S1 XM would be with hydractive1.

A C5 without sports mode is just like a non-hydractive Xantia, other than their ability to change height at different speeds/road conditions, they are not really hydractives at all.

The extra two spheres on a sport mode'd C5 are softer than the corner spheres. They give the supple ride, when the sports mode comes into play the centre softer spheres are cut out of the system, making the car ride on the firmer corner spheres. As you would expect, the corner spheres are not the same as those on a non sport mode C5.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

citroenmad wrote:and 2.0 136 engines do not have the sports mode, in any spec level.
Pretty sure my mate's 2.0 136 Exclusive had H3+....

Pretty good description, Chris - H3+ also reduces body roll - in a 'normal' hydraulic Citroen body roll is enhanced becuase the fluid can flow from one sphere to the other. When the hydractive cuts the centre sphere out, it also isolates the left and right spheres from each other, thus reducing the ability to roll.
Richard W