Xantia TD - Couldn't get into 1rst Gear (Manual box)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Xantia TD - Couldn't get into 1rst Gear (Manual box)

Post by ecohouse1 »

Hi folks

Strangest thing happened to me on Saturday - have been away for a week in sunny spain and had driven 120 motorway miles to the airport last weekend - everything fine. Left car a week in the long stay car park. Picked up - everything normal. Drove 120 motorway miles back no problem. Pull into driveway - go to engage first andit won't go in - almost in gear but not quite along with grinding etc when I let the clutch out. All other gears go in fine with no calamities!
Try switching off the motor, 1rst gear still won't engage! Almost like the gear lever can't go forward enough to get in.

Next morning jack car up at front - physically check the linkage rods around the gearbox (which I keep oiled) in case one is obstructed but all seem fine. I notice that the far right actuator lever sticking out at the RHS of the box (silver/brass colour) - looking in the bonnet-back of the box will click to the Left but seems to struggle to the Right.

Anyway manipulate the linkages a few times under the car, start engine (front end up in the air) run it through the gears with wheels spinning, then suddenly can engage first again! Its worked OK since then too!!

Anyone else ever had this and any idea what might have caused it?

I had the 3rd/4th Synchro hubs done in May but she has done a fair few miles since then with no hassles. Could it be connected?

Cheers

Alan