Xantia TD - Having some trouble.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lhm_leak
My Cars:

Xantia TD - Having some trouble.

Post by lhm_leak »

I've recently bought a 95/M Xantia 1.9TD LX to replace a 94/M 2.0i SX for commuting. Unfortunately I've hit problems almost immediately - and not the same ones as the other car!
First, the coolant teperature. The needle seems to vary between 70 and 90 degrees depending on operating conditions - I see 90 in traffic jams, but usually around 75 to 80 in normal motoring. Should I be worried by this, or is it quite normal behaviour for the TD engine?
Second, the instrument panel. I have a speedo that constantly indicates 50mph at anything over walking pace, and no tacho reading at all. The speedo sometimes corrects itself for a while, then goes back to 50. The tacho did have a kind of fit one day, swinging wildly between 3 and 5k rpm, but dropped back to zero again and hasn't moved since. Is this an electrical problem in the instrument panel, or something else entirely?
Lastly, it's the good old hydraulics. The ride quality is about what you'd expect of a "normal" car - i.e. too harsh. The spheres are almost brand new! The power steering sometimes stiffens up considerably and the brakes seem to work like a sluggish ABS system, i.e. apply/release with about a 1 second cycle time (no ABS fitted!) with a corresponding hiss from the brake valve. Have I just got some air in the system or is it something more serious?
Any help would be appreciated!
Stu.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

New spheres + hard ride = suspect air in suspension - try Citaerobics.
No ABS + seemingly "ABS" function on pedal = suspect air in the brake lines too - try bleed the brakes.
With continuing air problems - suspect leaking pump's feed hose from reservoir.
Other problems - DaveBurns ??
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Anders, I have seen reference to Citaerobics many times but can't find out what it is. Could you tell us please ?
Cheers, Kev
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

your temperature range sounds reasonable, its higher than my car which never exceedes 80 degrees but my car has air-con and therefore different cooling fans.
With regard to the ride if the new spheres are genuine Citroen then the ride will probably be firm as they all appear to now be latest spec, firmer than they used to be.
If the accumulator sphere is not new it may well be time for a replacement.
mark
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

http://citroenz.com/forum/ -> Tips & Tricks -> Citearobics
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Anders,
Every night I put my Xantia down the lowest level to 'relax' the hydraulics. Is that helpful to the hydraulics at all? However, sometimes, strangely enough, a loud thump will be heard and the car judders a bit if I switch on the alarm, open the door or boot, when the car is already switched off at this lowest level. Is this due to air in the suspension?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well John -
This habit may very well prevent that you see any odd troubles from air in the suspension.
The odd alarm related events I've never heard about - but then I've never driven a Xantia on daily base - yet [8D]
You may try download (0.6Mb) this VERY good Citroen document - explaining all the functional basics on most Citroen models - maybe you can deduct from this info what's causing this odd alarm event :
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/guide.html