Hydraulic power requirements...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Hydraulic power requirements...

Post by KP »

Not too unrelated from a Citroen I'm thinking of getting a winch for Rover.

But I'm looking at hydraulic ones as I like the idea of havin more torque.

This has led me to think about using Citroen bits instead of trying to real into the power steering circuit.

Im thinking something along the lines of a c5 pump as its already electric, 2 accumulators as big as I can get, a small tank with feed pipe running under the car with a return one following the same path.

Now I did think of just getting an old xantia or xm one from a scrapers and mating a motor to it from a washing machine but I'd need to play around with rev matching and so on where as a c5 setup is already there.

Is this easily and cheaply possible?? I was thinking of situating it in the corner of the boot as I can run the lines outside easily enough there and seal them as well to stop ingress from wading.

Would lhm or lds likely eat at rubber seals in the winch or is it less harsh than pas fluid??

All help greatly appreciated :)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Hydraulic power requirements...

Post by xantia_v6 »

Find out what pressure an flow rate the winch requires. I would expect that it needs a higher flow rate than provided by a C5 electric pump.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I'd imagine the pump in the C5 is fairly small ? For higher flow rates you'd need an early Xantia (sinker) pump with all pistons dedicated to the one output, or a pump from a BX or CX. If you could find one of the 5 piston version of the CX pump it has quite a high delivery...

They take a lot to drive them though, I believe around about 5 HP when under full load, which would need an electric motor on the order of 3 kilowatts or so... :shock: Better to find some way to just drive it directly from the engine...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Does this help out at all??
Specifications:
[*]Part Number: 70-52000C;Rated Line Pull: 12,000 lbs.@1500 PSI (single line) (5,454 kgs.);Gear Train: Planetary;Gear Ratio: 6:1 (low gear), 1:1 (high gear);Motor: 18.7 C.I. Hydraulicl;Cable: 3/8 x 100' (14,400 nominal);Drum Size Diameter: 2.5 (6.4cm);Drum Size Length: 9 (23cm);Total Shipping Weight: 98 lbs.;Bolt Pattern: 10 x 4.5 (4 bolts, 3/8)
The other option was to use an electric PAS pump to provide the juice as there are a fair few of them about and these winches seem to use PAS pumps to provide grunt anyway so i'd have to find one off as big a car as possible to ensure its upto duty would i not? Or would one off a PSA box do?

Thanks for your time on this guys :)

I think the C5 one is small but still must be upto the job as they use not much different ones in the c6 dont they :) maybe worth taking a miss on it though as they seem prone to failure!
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

You can't get away from the fact that a 4.5T winch draws 4-5HP. That (American) winch needs a flow-rate of about 20L/min at 1500psi - I would expect that to be pushing the limits for an electric PAS pump, even a big one. That's why the 'Husky' winch so popular with L-R owners is hydraulic (not electric) and uses an engine-driven pump.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

a quick calc shows the c5 pumps to be about 1kw or just under so no use at all really :(

Ah well im going to have to see if i can find somewhere to mount an additional pump in the engine bay...