Superb cruiser.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Superb cruiser.

Post by qprdude »

Just completed the first half of a little jaunt. Inverurie, in Aberdeenshire, to Woking, Surrey, via Lowestoft in Suffolk.
Total miles so far 726.
Returning a slightly low 39.7 MPG, but the car is fully laden with luggage. Not a spare centimetre in the boot, and some stuff in the back as well. The MPG might also have been affected by a slightly higher average speed which won't be divulged here!
I have been the proud owner of many excellent cars, from big Hondas to even bigger Jaguars, but never have I travelled in such supreme comfort and quiet than my latest journey in the 2.2 turbo diesel C5.
Aberdeen to Lowestoft on a tankfull with plenty to spare, drivers massage seat activated just twice, Sat Nav worked supremely well and the seats were as comfortable as my Saab, if not more so.
This car is certainly an able cruiser, and no slouch off the mark either. The torque to overtake without dropping down the gearbox is excellent. The smooth delivery of power without undue noise is a joy.
The added bonus is the fact that an "ordinary" family saloon still manages to turn heads. The distinctive styling seems to confuse people, who can't decide what it is until they see the double chevron badge.
I will be resting up for a couple of weeks before heading north again.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Superb cruiser.

Post by Mandrake »

I would have thought you'd get a bit more than 39.7MPG on a long trip in a diesel ?

A couple of months ago we did a 700 mile tour around northern Scotland, a mixture of 70mph dual carriage ways, 60mph B roads, and small villages in the Xantia V6 with 4 people and a full boot of luggage, and I wasn't exactly shy with my right foot when overtaking, nor was I keeping to the speed limit the whole time... (who could with the power of a V6 on tap :twisted: )

I only average 20MPG in short urban trips so I wasn't expecting much and was very pleased and surprised to average 32.8MPG over that trip. Not bad for a gas guzzling petrol V6. =D> Despite it nearing 14 years old I also found it completely effortless and enjoyable to drive on a long trip. Citroen do seem to make some good long distance cruisers... :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

Diesels' efficiency advantages diminish the more of the performance you use - they are usually so much better on fuel because they're running on small 'throttles' most of the time. I've had a three litre diesel which usually gives about 40 return as little as 23mpg, barely better if at all than the 3 litre petrol equivalent which is more powerful. My CX petrol turbo could have done the same journey at the same speeds on less fuel, I'm sure. Horses for courses. But 40mpg at high speed fully loaded is nothing to grumble about!
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

also, I remember once doing a trip West in a 405TD.. i seemed to get about 25% less economy than the return east..
Wet Roads and wind I was thinking at the time..
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Yes, while drifting along at 50-55 MPH, the OBC shows 57 MPG, but more liberal use of the right pedal, circa 85-95 MPH , and the diesel consumption drops alarmingly. IMHO it's worth the extra cost to use the cars full capabilities.
Rick.

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The 2.2 16v HDi is not a particuarly ecomonical engine in the first place.. They can struggle 40mpg unloaded, so fully loaded to the brim Id find that an ok figure..

The 2.0 8v and 2.0 16v HDi engines are another story though.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Journey's end. 1974 trouble free miles.
MPG showing at just under 39. Fantastic motorway miles (app 1500) plus 200 A road and the remainder Surrey local and Greater London.
Horrendous rain from Manchester to Carlisle on the M6 on Sunday and a good dry run from Carlisle North.
An excellent trip and arrived home feeling as if I had just driven 100 miles or so.
The only niggle is the crazy lack of storage cubbies/ drinks holders for such a big car. The drinks holder in the front arm rest must have been designed and sited by a lobotomized chimpanzee.
Roll on the next trip.
Rick.