c5 not starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

barney99

c5 not starting

Post by barney99 »

Hi all,
New to forum and not too good with engines ( but I know a man who is ). However nobody seems able to fix my broken c5 auto.
My problem…( it's an automatic 2005 c5 exclusive )
- Battery ok – turns engine but it will not start. This happened suddenly after parking/switching off after a 50 mile journey. It would not start again and I had to be towed home.
- Now ….No battery light when switching on
- ‘Economy mode active’ initial error message – although there have been others recently such as low oil, g faulty gearbox etc. Then all dashboard lights go off after 30 seconds.
- Electric windows don’t work.
- Petrol pump not energizing.

Sorry, I'm not sure what the last thing ( petrol pump ) means but I think the problem lies with the electrics/electronics as there have been several erroneous messages lately.
Any help/advice much appreciated as I hate being without a car and don't have a lot of money to give Citroen garages.
cheers
barney
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: c5 not starting

Post by myglaren »

First thing I would suggest is to get the battery checked out as much of what you describe can be typical of a failing/low voltage battery.
Could be a cell has collapsed, modern batteries seem to just keel over all of a sudden.

It could also be poor battery connections, check that all are clean and tight.

Not the exceptionally fiddly procedure for battery disconnection and reconnection.
People have managed with a shortcut procedure but it isn't always successful.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

on top of that

have a rummage in the engine fusebox, passenger side / rear of battery, with ignition on.. i
worth a try
John
barney99

Post by barney99 »

Thanks myglaren - the battery seems ok, it drives the starter motor quickly and it has never been a problem before. However, having said that - shortly after trying to start the car a few times the electrics went dead. When I looked under the bonnet I saw that the quick release on one of the battery terminals had become loose. Once I clamped it on again the battery worked fine turning the starter motor - but it still would not start so I had to call out the recovery service. Despite checking all the fuses and battery the mechanic could not find the fault and just towed us home.
Since then I have had a Citroen mechanic come out and look at but still no solution.
And thanks jgra1 - all fuses ok
I will check both the battery and the fuses again and let you know if any joy ( or not )
cheers
Barney