anti roll bar

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikep
My Cars:

anti roll bar

Post by mikep »

My 1996 Xantia has failed it's MOT for the first time. Reason given by Kwikfit is worn nearside anti roll bar.
They also added it is usual to replace both at £63 each plus an additonal £32 for tracking.

Can anyone tell me if this an accurate statement ?
mikep

Citroen Xantia auto sx 1996
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Re: anti roll bar

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Do they mean the drop links that attach to bar and hub? If so then they're easy to swap but can't see how they'd affect the tracking???
(drop link is a short bar with balljoint at each end)
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

I asked the symptoms of a worn anti roll bar, and they said a knocking sound when cornering.
To be fair it has not been handling the bumps and does pitch too much when cornering, so
maybe they are right. I think they also said replacing the ARB's can affect the tracking.
mikep

lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

anti roll bar links shouldnt affect the tracking, but if you replace them make sure you get the right ones (there are 2 types, a kinda l shape one and a z shape one) and that you get good quality ones as the cheap ones ( from ebay land) seem to only last a few hundred miles before going again, try gsf for them, also before you do them give the threads of the old ones a good cleaning up with oil or wd before doing them as i couldnt even budge mine and ended up gettin annoyed and using an angle grinder on them, also if you car do them on high suspension so the arb wont move when you get one side off
Last edited by lurchy666 on 17 Sep 2012, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

also on my hdi estate when the anti roll links were in need of repair there was a knocking over bumps but as soon as you turn and put some stress on the arb the knocking stopped,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There are split plastic bushes at each end of the anti-roll bar that sit under the clamps next to the P Bushes. Conceivably these can wear and if they do are easily enough replaced. Certainly their replacement (or drop links) will not require tracking...

I'd get the MOT tester to explain precisely what he was not happy with. He should be able to tell you in exquisite detail and if not then report him to VOSA as incompetent.

That they quoted for tracking suggests they're working up to a fast-one on you.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
That they quoted for tracking suggests they're working up to a fast-one on you.
Kwik-Fit? That could never happen :roll:
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

I will definitely speak to Mot tester tomorrow when I collect and let you know his answer.
mikep

lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

if you can put your suspension on high turn your wheel and get him to point to the exact bit he wants you to replace
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

Collected the car back today and asked a few questions and was told it failed because ' the offside front ARB linkage ball joint dust cover was excessively damaged so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt'

In regard to the tracking, they said whenever work is done on the suspension geometry, the tracking is checked, In my case this should have been checked FOC before attempting to charge me and he apologised for not making this clear.
So Citrojim was right, they were trying a con by trying to get a payment for tracking when it was not even checked to see if it was necessary.

Thanks all for the advice.
mikep

lurchy666

Post by lurchy666 »

glad you didnt get conned, i wonder how many other ppl have fell for it,

the arb links are pretty easy to do (as i dont think they do the dust covers seprate) as said before if your good with a set of spanners,
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

Lurchy, would have attempted it a few years ago, but at 76 I'm a bit past it .
mikep