Xantia Front Pads?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

neilminto

Xantia Front Pads?

Post by neilminto »

Any chance of a step-by-step on changing the front pads on a xantia -I've done literally hundreds but never on a Xantia - what complications are there caused by the front handbrake?
Cheers
Neil
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Neil -
If you have done hundreds of brake pads on other cars - I'm sure you'll find the Xantia a no-problem to service. It's very straightforward.
The handbrake construction is made such that no service adjustment is necessary - and does not affect the brake service.
In fact the construction may be seen as an extra means moving the front brakes pads - by a handlever - instead of the pedal.
Special issues :
1) to retract the caliper piston - the piston itself MUST be screwed into the bore - because of the handbrake mechanism's self adjusting bits inside the piston.
2) the handbrake cable attachment on the caliper lever arm may NEVER be used to adjust the handbrake. The adjuster nut found is ONLY to adjust cable slack onto the lever arm - when fitting new cables.
The handbrake is adjusted by keeping the pedal pressed firmly - then holding the handbrake release button while firmly working the lever up/down a couple of times.
Have the engine idle while doing this - ensuring hydraulic pressure is present for the brakes.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Neil, unhook the handbrake cable from the arm on the caliper and pull the cable completely out of the caliper, pull the flexible brake hose from its bracket on the strut, pull the "R" clip from the caliper retaining pin and punch the pin out, then swing the caliper upwards and tie it with string to prevent it swinging back down.
As Anders says, screw the piston back in and be sure to position it so the pin on the back of the pad will sit in one of the notches in the piston when you swing the caliper back down.
Give it a good clean and some copper grease on the pad slides, check the disc for scale build up at the inner and outer periphery of the disc and chip it away if necessary, if the new pads have to start life riding on this stuff they wont bed in too quickly.
Dave
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

If you have a Haynes for your Xantia, just follow what it tells you, I did mine earlier this week and it took no more than 45 mins to do including re adjusting the handbrake which was a doddle
Paul
neilminto

Post by neilminto »

Thanks chaps!
Neil[:)]