Tyres on V6 Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Tyres on V6 Xantia

Post by Mandrake »

Probably doesn't help you as you can't get them in the UK, but I had four 205/60/15 Michelin XM1 (look them up) on my previous Xantia in New Zealand and they were fantastic. I had them on for nearly 4 years, did around 40,000Km (note kilometres not miles) before I sold the car, the rear ones had no noticable wear the front ones had a little bit of wear but still had tons of tread depth even at the sides and had no apparent loss in performance.

Although it was only a 2 litre Xantia not a V6 it was HA2 and that poor thing got a LOT of stick from me around the corners. :twisted:

They rode well, were very quiet, had excellent grip in the rain, (don't know about snow or ice as we don't get those in northern NZ :) ) also very good grip on loose metal roads due to cross grooves. No tyre squeal at all on Tarmac with hard cornering and tons of grip. Really very good.

I would have fitted them to the V6 I have now without hesitation but I was disappointed to find that they're not available in the UK market. (If I had to guess why I would say they are probably a harder compound designed to withstand the coarse chip Tarmac common in NZ and less well suited to very low temperatures and ice)

I've ended up putting a pair of Michelin energy 205/60/15 on the front of the V6 and it's early days but so far so good. It's hard to tell how they compare to the XM1 as I only have a pair instead of all 4, the car itself is different, the roads are different etc...also ironically I don't push the V6 as hard around corners as I did the 2 litre :lol: Partly for lack of isolated pieces of road without traffic where I can do so. :twisted: (There's plenty of quiet sections of road in NZ where you can give a car a bit of stick around the corners with nobody else about...not so here apparently where there is always someone around even on a country road)

The energies have a good ride, very good wet grip, seem to corner well with no squeal, have good grip overall but that's all I know so far. I don't like the tread design of the energy quite as much as the XM1, (one less centre channel and no cross channels) but overall they seem pretty good.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Tyres on V6 Xantia

Post by CitroJim »

Just had a pair of BF Goodrich G-Grips fitted to the front of my V6. I like and recommend them. This is no new tyre to me as I've had them on several Xantias in the past and always found them good.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...