xm cambelt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

franciscolunn
My Cars:

xm cambelt

Post by franciscolunn »

got 1995 xm vsx 2.1 td and not sure when cambelt was changed(only aquired recently like 1 week)lots of history but no mention of cambelt,big miles 169k and a motorway cruncher from a obscure company, still runs sweet so what do i do, promised 250 for cambelt job from local garage, only on a budget so i aint got much loot i just love xm's,any body got experience of big k's on this model,
ta
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Your XM 2.1 is probably the same as my 2.1 Xantia. If you've done any XUD cambelt, you'll find the 2.1 similar. There's a bit more to remove on the top mounting - all the support from the inner wing has to come off otherwise you won't get the front cover off. Also the three front covers are slightly different to smaller XUD's. When it comes to timing the pulleys prior to removing the belt, I find it's impossible to see the timing hole behind the starter motor. Instead, I mark up the crankshaft with two paint spots. The belt tensioner is also different on the 2.1. You need a 5mm Allen key inserted into a hole in the engine mounting bracket to slacken the tensioner then a 10mm socket in the same hole to wind the pulley back. Fitting the belt is the same as the 1.7 and 1.9 engines.
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

thanks john for that,i think i'll invest in a garage job after all, i'm not that mech minded at least they got to do it right(i hope)and of course i have a recourse if things go wrong.