A 21st Century Paul Magès

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

A 21st Century Paul Magès

Post by Spaces »

Some of you will feel my indignation at Citroën's lack of committment to and appreciation of its finest single engineering achievement, the high pressure gas over oil suspension, braking and steering systems of its larger, faster cars. It looks as if the company is finally ditching its (optional) hydraulic suspension for good with the next C5 - http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=40946, which bears out the marginalisation of the technology in recent years and its apparent lack of understanding of the greatness of its own invention.

I have mentioned Chris Heyring in a thread I posted almost a year ago regarding anti-roll bars (http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=37237) and I see him as the person who has almost single-handedly been responsible for the development of hydraulics in suspension engineering post Citroën (rip 1974?) - from a small college art lecturer who appreciated old Citroens to the person who sold his idea to the US and its military.

Here's a short Western Australia newsclip of the guy:

A quote from The Jalopnik Review of McLaren's MP4-12C:
Is Chris Heyring Day a federal holiday? It should be. Heyring was the Australian inventor who emancipated the motor vehicle from the shackles of anti-roll bars by piping together a set of hydraulic dampers and nitrogen-charged accumulators into something McLaren calls Proactive Chassis Control (PCC). The system, now sourced by Tennaco, keeps the car flat in corners and allows for full articulation, and thus greater comfort, in a straight line. Driven aggressively, its reflexes are lightning-quick, firming up and releasing undemonstratively.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."