Citroen C5 Battery Charge Fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C503

Citroen C5 Battery Charge Fault

Post by C503 »

Hi there, hope you guys can help with this, I have a Citroen C5 2.2 DIESEL exclusive estate on an 03 plate.
Suddenly there is a message saying battery charge fault this then sends the car into melt down with every other fault under the sun appearing on the display. The needle on the volt meter is in the center when ignition is on but moves over to the left into the two red dashes when engine is started. I have recharged the battery and its at full charge I had the battery checked at our local unipart spares dealer as I was going to replace it but they say the battery is showing good health and fully charged. I even borrowed a brand new battery just to try it and this brings up the same battery charge fault message.
Do you think its the alternator as there is an intermittant noise coming from the engine that was not there before its like a whistling sound.
Any advice please.
john.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Citroën C5 Battery Charge Fault

Post by Xantidote »

Firstly, Welcome to FCF :-D

Ignoring whether on not you have a Lexia, I'd put a voltmeter across the battery terminals. Check the voltage with all switched off, then with the ignition on, and then with engine running. From what you say (good battery), it should show about 12.5 volts, before ignition on. The interesting reading will be what you get immediately on start up - the voltage should increase to (max) of 14.4 volts, which would prove the alternator is working.

Have you checked the clamps on the battery terminals, and the leads/earths?

Regarding the sound, try using a large screwdriver as a stethoscope, placing handle end against your ear, and pointy end against the body of eg. the alternator, and see if you can detect where the noise is coming from

Let us know how you get on
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
C503

Post by C503 »

Hi Martin, thanks for your swift reply, here is were im at, started car this morning and the volt meter stayed at center point on gauge and the noise coming from around the alternator area had gone, I put the volt meter on the battery and it was showing 14 volts with engine running and 12v with just ignition on, happy days so I thought, then I turned the air-con on full and also put the headlights on full beam, instantly the noise around the alternator came back sounding like a bag of spanners, and at the same time the volt meter has gone straight back to the left and into the two red dashes, now with engine running voltage at battery is showing just 12 voilts, my thoughts are now thinking it could be alternator or the pully bearing that is making the noise, what do you think. ?
john.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Sounds like the alternator belt is needing adjusting or replacing, the noise is most likely the belt skidding under load. If it's producing 14 volts unloaded I'd say the alternator itsef is ok.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

C503 wrote:now with engine running voltage at battery is showing just 12 voilts
At 12v there is definitely an alternator problem. I just had to replace mine too when it failed without any warning.
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well, I tend to agree with Gibbo's idea that the belt and pulleys need close inspection. I'm not familiar with the C5 set-up to make more detailed suggestions, but from what you describe, the problem seems to develop when there's increased electrical load, such as aircon & headlamps, thus putting more load on the mechanical bits & creating the noise. The volts dropping back because of the belt slipping.

It could of course be the alternator bearing(s) being worn out. Had this on my Xantia recently, and the alternator was noisier when under load.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
C503

Post by C503 »

Hi all, just like to update you all on battery charge fault problem, after removing alternator and bearing I had them tested and both were unrepairable, also the belt had been put on incorrectly by someone previously as it was rubbing against a casing and the auto tensioner was in-operative. So new alternator, bearing and belt fitted, problem now solved.
Thanks to all who replied to my cry for help, your advice and thoughts on this problem was much appreciated. =D>
Best Regards
John. :-D